Political talk from outside of the UK
:sunglasses: 32 % ❤ 1.9 % :thumbsup: 27.2 % 😯 7.8 % :grinning: 19.4 % 🙏 1.9 % 😟 5.8 % :cry: 3.9 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
On another forum I go on, an American (woman and Trump hater btw) commented that she's worried that even if he loses the election he won't go and he will attempt to cling on, by passing some sort of enabling law, using Covid as a cover.

One thing that may give some hope is that the American media are largely against him, and ridicule him quite a lot, he just seems to have Fox (reminiscent of something Goebbels would have come up with) and a few crackpot blogs in his corner. This might give voters there some hope of getting rid of the nylon haired knob.

Contrast that to here where they're all on the Tories side, apart from the Guardian, which is way too pretentious to have any kind of mass appeal and The Daily Mirror, for what that is.

By Samanfur
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
He's been badmouthing Fox quite a bit recently, and praising the basement-dwelling cranks at One America News Network instead.

Even Fox is starting to call him out more regularly now, and he doesn’t like it.

By davidjay
It's got to the stage now with this lunatic (a word I use advisedly) that I don't know what worries me most - the thought of him winning and having another four years to end the world, or losing and what might happen afterwards.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Harris’s ratings are impressive including net positive with over 55s. And they know this is likely to be someone who takes the big chair due to Biden’s age rather than a bucket of spit Veep. Are the Americans now just into electing someone whose nothing like the last person? I’m confident the Republicans can find someone even worse than Trump for 2024. President Bolton or Cruz and VP Conway.

By Arrowhead
youngian wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:45 am
I’m confident the Republicans can find someone even worse than Trump for 2024. President Bolton or Cruz and VP Conway.
If they had any sense they'd give Romney another shot, but that ain't gonna happen given his stands against some of Trump's worst excesses. Cruz is a good call, or perhaps one of the Fox News ghouls such as Tucker Carlson or Laura Ingraham.
youngian liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
youngian wrote:
I’m confident the Republicans can find someone even worse than Trump for 2024. President Bolton or Cruz and VP Conway.
More likely one of the more fluent Trumpers- Josh Hawley or Tom Cotton. Assuming Trump goes down, they'll have had 4 years to make out they never supported him.

By The Red Arrow
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
youngian wrote:
More likely one of the more fluent Trumpers- Josh Hawley or Tom Cotton. Assuming Trump goes down, they'll have had 4 years to make out they never supported him.
Going to be a lot of 'good Germans' on both sides of the Atlantic in a few years time.
Tubby Isaacs liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/08/13 ... et-defund/
Austin City Council votes to cut police department budget by one-third, reinvest money in social services
Not sure it's as drastic as it sounds- over half of it seems to be transferring stuff done by the police now to non-police bodies. And the cut to training new cops seems to be "come up with a better curriculum and we might give you the money".

But even so, it's quite radical. I imagine Texas Republicans are very pleased to have this to run against. And it's the sort of thing that will probably take time to bed in. So brave.Surprised they didn't wait a year.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
The Red Arrow wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:54 pm
Going to be a lot of 'good Germans' on both sides of the Atlantic in a few years time.
Isn’t there already a group of scuttling Tory rats on the backbenches been formed claiming to be concerned moderate ‘One Nation’ Tories?

By The Red Arrow
Seeing which way the crowd is heading and running to the front shouting 'follow me!' - I saw something about Turd of Turd Hall himself claiming Brexit will be a disaster today.

Back to matters American, Biden got through his first event with Harris and didn't balls it up. Another measured response from Pakman -

Meanwhile in America

Terrible news one of the big mistakes American lib[…]

Michael Gove

https://twitter.com/room808/status/130687105930039[…]

The Tories, Generally

I'm reminded of a passage in one of the Flashman b[…]

Twat of the Day

I'm not sure if this should be here, but it's as g[…]