•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
davidjay wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:51 pm
As I see it, the Lib Dems problem isn't so much the coalition hangover now as the fact that they've lost their role as the natural party of protest to the Greens/PC/SNP on one side and whatever Farage comes up with next (I know, but the electorate aren't necessarily the brightest) on the other.
A slam-dunk reason to have voted for Layla Moran. Not exactly AOC but she might yet have energised a fresh and politically homeless base that is there for the taking.

By Tubby Isaacs
davidjay wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:51 pm
As I see it, the Lib Dems problem isn't so much the coalition hangover now as the fact that they've lost their role as the natural party of protest to the Greens/PC/SNP on one side and whatever Farage comes up with next (I know, but the electorate aren't necessarily the brightest) on the other.
Yeah, I think there's too much competition for "none of the above" now, and that having been in the Coalition till only 5 years ago is extra disqualifying.

They're where they were early nineties. Not very many MPs, trying to build on local government strength and tactical voting, except without all the morale-boosting by elections. Don't see any way back except hoping Johnson becomes very unpopular with Hard Brexit.

By Catkins
A slam-dunk reason to have voted for Layla Moran. Not exactly AOC but she might yet have energised a fresh and politically homeless base that is there for the taking.
She came across as a bit flaky and her 2013 arrest for domestic violence (which she later admitted) would have been poison. The press would have (rightly) made a big deal of it at election time, same as if Keir Starmer had given Mrs Starmer a bit of a drunken slapping.

So Davey is Tory-lite? Well, that's the Lib Dems, as we saw in coalition. It's an honest appointment if nothing else.
Arrowhead liked this

By davidjay
Catkins wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:09 pm
She came across as a bit flaky and her 2013 arrest for domestic violence (which she later admitted) would have been poison. The press would have (rightly) made a big deal of it at election time, same as if Keir Starmer had given Mrs Starmer a bit of a drunken slapping.

So Davey is Tory-lite? Well, that's the Lib Dems, as we saw in coalition. It's an honest appointment if nothing else.
It is odd how, as we saw in 2010, their voters are perennially angered by a centre-right leadership, operating on a centre-right manifesto, gravitating to the Tories.
Owen Jones

Some of them probably had memories of the elected […]

The Tories, Generally

This is an area where the Tories - by schmoozing a[…]

Michael Gove

I presume Johnson was too busy writing begging l[…]

Boris Johnson

Couldn't lipsync then, either. Van, or Boris[…]