Discussion of article from the Mail's columnists and RightMinds contributors
:sunglasses: 61 % ❤ 4.9 % :thumbsup: 2.4 % 😯 4.9 % :grinning: 19.5 % 😟 2.4 % :cry: 4.9 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
The thing you have to know about Natalie is that Natalie knows. Especially about all those politicians. And especially those who have an occasional friend called Charlie.
Monday, 24 August 2020
Sarah Vine - Never Knowingly Over-Researched

https://zelo-street.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... -over.html

By Andy McDandy
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... lives.html

Get back to work you lazy slobs, blitz spirit, what's a little death, my husband's been very busy, who could have done any better etc.

By Andy McDandy
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... vable.html

The wife of former NI secretary Hugo Swire (no, me neither) has published a diary detailing the fun and games behind the scenes during the coalition, and Sarah's not happy. Mainly, I suspect, because she's been beaten to the punch.

Judging by the excerpts in the column, Cameron's inner circle come across as a bunch of posh doggers. Obsessed with public image but happily/desperately trying to revisit those halcyon days on the wet grass behind the marquee at the graduation ball, and none too smart.

The funny thing is that despite her best efforts (or perhaps deliberately), Vine just ends up confirming that Mrs Swire is bang on the money.

My thoughts are that if that's the high life, you can keep it.

By Bones McCoy
Andy McDandy wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:30 am
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... vable.html

The wife of former NI secretary Hugo Swire (no, me neither) has published a diary detailing the fun and games behind the scenes during the coalition, and Sarah's not happy. Mainly, I suspect, because she's been beaten to the punch.

Judging by the excerpts in the column, Cameron's inner circle come across as a bunch of posh doggers. Obsessed with public image but happily/desperately trying to revisit those halcyon days on the wet grass behind the marquee at the graduation ball, and none too smart.

The funny thing is that despite her best efforts (or perhaps deliberately), Vine just ends up confirming that Mrs Swire is bang on the money.

My thoughts are that if that's the high life, you can keep it.
Off topic, of course, but that's my impression of many forms of the high life:

Consider a realistic one: Retire a decade early and go to live in Spain.
Sounds fucking brilliant when you're in your '20s, great weather, late bars and sexy europeans.
Retired at 55: You find yourself in a "Gammon enclave" where life centres on the bowls club (Doubtless run by the types you'd run mile to avoid back home), the English shop. Spending your afternoons pissed at Weathersopoons plus sunshine in company that wishes the Claudillo was still in charge.

There are plenty of similar suburban dystopias: The golf club, the yacht club (for slightly higher flyers), the bank sends you to be "our man in Shanghai"...

By Boiler
Bones McCoy wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:25 am
Consider a realistic one: Retire a decade early and go to live in Spain.
Sounds fucking brilliant when you're in your '20s, great weather, late bars and sexy europeans.
Retired at 55: You find yourself in a "Gammon enclave" where life centres on the bowls club (Doubtless run by the types you'd run mile to avoid back home), the English shop.
If you retire to Spain at 55, chances are you're exactly the bowls club type. Or plays golf.
Boris Johnson

His £150k salary thing is doubly absurd […]

Meanwhile in America

Actually, to be fair, he has to beat Kelly Loeffle[…]

Owen Jones

Some of them probably had memories of the elected […]

The Tories, Generally

This is an area where the Tories - by schmoozing a[…]