Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 49.4 % ❤ 3.5 % :thumbsup: 9.1 % 😯 3.5 % :grinning: 25.1 % 🧥 1.2 % 🙏 1.1 % 😟 4.1 % :cry: 2.9 % :shit: 0.2 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
The real problem is the party, rather than the leader. If anything, it is advantageous to the opposition for Boris to remain in post, as it's now obvious that he's an incompetent chancer and he's damaging the Tory brand.

Even elements of the right wing press are picking up on it and putting the boot in, but if he is dumped what happens? Do they continue with this extreme right wing approach or move back to a slightly more reasoned position to attract floating voters and try to keep the new seats won last time?

My money is on the first option

By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts LikeBB
The party pick the leader, and as far as I can tell, the local parties have been taken over by the same fringe nutters as infested Labour. A snap election with Covid still an issue and no deal looming would be suicide, but a caretaker PM for potentially 4 years would be that too. As for taking a hit and letting Labour sort it out, no. One, there's still work to do rebuilding the base, and two, don't underestimate the Tories love of power.

I think we're in for 4 years of Gove as a lame duck PM. Or Raab or Sunak, then Gove after a few years of Starmer, posing as the elder statesman.

By Samanfur
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Not that he wasn't whining about this before he got the job, but the fact that it's coming up again now makes me wonder if Carrie's mentioned child maintenance.
The Red Arrow, Oblomov liked this

By Boiler
Posts LikeBB
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:58 pm
His £150k salary thing is doubly absurd because it’s implied this is all he has - as if he doesn’t have a massive pile in the bank as well. That 150k is just topping up his already vast bank balance more slowly than usual.
If anything fucks me off bigly, it's this "no-one in the public sector should earn more than the PM".

What about the cost of all the benefits in kind like 10 Downing Street, Chequers, the lifetime security details...?

By Tubby Isaacs
Lots of the electorate like the Tories being very nasty. But lots don't like them letting the roof fall off their kids' schools. Why not do the first, but chuck whatever money you need to spend about to neutralize the second? Johnson's seen that Trump's voters don't care about the deficit.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Membership Days Posts LikeBB
It's plant. See? We are all talking about the 150k salary and only in negative terms. And, just before furlough ends.

It is neither here nor there that Johnson is doubtless picking up another six-figure sum (via a blind trust) for his contributions to the Telegraph. That the book deal is as good as settled apart from the clusterfuck-clause which only increases with concomitant chaos. Ditto.

It looks to me to be orchestrated. Johnson's enemies and long-term detractors are willingly lining up behind the establishment press to put the boot in. All, just before Lockdown 2.0 paralyses everything but the grouse moors.

The Tuffton Club really aren't happy and may well have made their move. Tomorrow's papers will tell us how far they are prepared to go in the short term.
By satnav
Having forked out £4.8 Million in his divorce settlement earlier this year he is probably now down to his last £5m. His real worry must be that he if is steam rolled into marrying Carrie his wealth could be cut in half again two years later when she inevitably gives in the elbow.

By Tubby Isaacs
In fairness to him, he probably shouldn't be paying tax on 10 Downing Street. It isn't a benefit in kind- he lives there because it's pretty much necessary for PMs to live there. The same principle applies to other jobs where people "live in".

It's not clear who was the first PM to pay tax on it, or why they did. Gordo paid it- was he the first? Did he start it in response to the expenses scandal, maybe?

By Boiler
Posts LikeBB
Kreuzberger wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:26 pm
Tomorrow's papers will tell us how far they are prepared to go in the short term.
Seems to be fines for people who refuse to self-isolate, and RB-G.

By davidjay
Boiler wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:10 pm
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:58 pm
His £150k salary thing is doubly absurd because it’s implied this is all he has - as if he doesn’t have a massive pile in the bank as well. That 150k is just topping up his already vast bank balance more slowly than usual.
If anything fucks me off bigly, it's this "no-one in the public sector should earn more than the PM".

What about the cost of all the benefits in kind like 10 Downing Street, Chequers, the lifetime security details...?
And the serious money to be made afterwards.
The Tories, Generally

As someone said on there, paraphrased - the worst[…]

US election 2020

https://twitter.com/EricTrump/status/1319672735035[…]

Priti Patel

Oh my God. It's a rather high profile case, at a r[…]

Peter Hitchens

And extremely intelligent, and a critical thinker.