Political talk from outside of the UK
:sunglasses: 32.9 % ❤ 2.7 % :thumbsup: 24 % 😯 9.6 % :grinning: 19.2 % 🙏 1.4 % 😟 6.2 % :cry: 3.4 % :shit: 0.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
It's the same here - the right will always create their own advantages and exploit them to the fullest, and the left (or "not quite as right" as it realistically is in the US) always fail to fix these things when they have the opportunity, or do it in such a half-arsed way that it's easily undone.

You have to hope that once the Tories are out of power, Labour finally does something with PR to stop them ever getting back into power to better reflect the actual make-up of the country. Though I have a horrible feeling it'll be "Well it's alright now we're back in, so we'll leave it eh?" yet again. First past the post doesn't deliver strong government, it just delivers false mandates. And the US system lets any party with president and senate do pretty much whatever they want, and any party with president and house do nothing because it's all blocked in the senate. Checks and balances my arse.
Boiler, oboogie, spoonman liked this

By Andy McDandy
It works remarkably well if you consider that it was designed in a time of semi-independent states, with the central government being more of a last resort and actual power lying with the state legislatures/governors. The president was more of a chair of the board than buck stops/starts here figure, and to get all states on board with something meant that it had to be a real life or death situation, such as imminent invasion, in which case presidential authority could be invoked, if only to give the states a kick up the arse and get things moving.

So yeah, since 1865 it's been rather out of date. And the less said about the rural weighting (yeah, I get it, otherwise the big coastal states would have free rein, but seriously, California on a par with Wyoming?) the better.

By Tubby Isaacs
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:49 am
It's the same here - the right will always create their own advantages and exploit them to the fullest, and the left (or "not quite as right" as it realistically is in the US) always fail to fix these things when they have the opportunity, or do it in such a half-arsed way that it's easily undone.
In fairness to the Democrats, it's a fairly new situation. As recently as 2008, the Democrats had 60 seats in the senate, with conservative Democrats holding Senate seats in small red states. Since then, it's become much harder for Democrats to win statewide in Red states.

Even adding new states doesn't fix it properly. No reason why the Republicans can't split off new states in the future. Even blue states have large rural areas full of Republicans who'd happily split from what they see as their urban-dominated states.

By Tubby Isaacs
Here's Washington State. Look at the results by county.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Unit ... on_(state)

King County contains Seattle, and Hillary Clinton won it by 500,000. That's virtually her margin in the entire state.

Look at the map too:

Not hard to draw a map down the middle and put the "coastal elite" Democrats in their own state and the "salt of the earth" Republicans in their own state. Each state gets 2 senators. So instead of the Democrats having 2 and the Republicans having none, they now have 2 each.

I'm sure the Governor of Washington State (Democrat) would have something to say about that, so in practice it's very unlikely. But in a state Republicans win, I don't see why they couldn't do it.
Arrowhead liked this
By SoulBoy
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:02 pm
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:49 am
In fairness to the Democrats, it's a fairly new situation. As recently as 2008, the Democrats had 60 seats in the senate, with conservative Democrats holding Senate seats in small red states. Since then, it's become much harder for Democrats to win statewide in Red states.

Even adding new states doesn't fix it properly. No reason why the Republicans can't split off new states in the future. Even blue states have large rural areas full of Republicans who'd happily split from what they see as their urban-dominated states.
For example, Jefferson State. Take most of Northern California, minus the queers and commies in San Francisco, and free Southern Oregon from Portland's influence and you'd get the Trumpiest of Trump states.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson ... fic_state)

If you ever fancy scaring the hell out of yourself, listen to It Could Happen Here, a podcast where Robert Evans explores how a second American civil war could occur.

By The Red Arrow
A little light relief -

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s takedown of a Republican’s ‘dumb blonde’ troll was simply perfect
https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2020/09/22/al ... l-perfect/

- before sharing that news has reached your correspondent that elements of the 82nd Airborne Division are rumoured to be in training for the forcible removal of a beaten president who won't leave office.

By Catkins
If you ever fancy scaring the hell out of yourself, listen to It Could Happen Here, a podcast where Robert Evans explores how a second American civil war could occur.
I assume the title is a reference to Sinclair Lewis' 'It can't happen here', which I read last year and which is terrifying? Heartily recommend it, if you enjoy novels about bombastic power-crazy businessmen who becomes President.

By Tubby Isaacs
SoulBoy wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:04 am

For example, Jefferson State. Take most of Northern California, minus the queers and commies in San Francisco, and free Southern Oregon from Portland's influence and you'd get the Trumpiest of Trump states.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson ... fic_state)

Jefferson State is a new one on me. I'm surprised there aren't more plans like that. I assume you can split just about any blue state up like that.

By Tubby Isaacs
Obviously, it's pretty awful that the Republicans are going to have a 6-3 majority on the Supreme Court, but this might not help them in the election. Trump got lots of votes last time for his "outsider" schtick. Having the campaign play out with McConnell's trickery in the news isn't ideal from that point of view. Iowa and Ohio swung big to Trump, and he'll probably win both, but might come under some pressure. Iowa has a senate race, where the incumbent Republican (Joni Ernst) will probably not relish having to defend this shite in the campaign. Same in Montana, where there's a similar senate race.

By Tubby Isaacs
You know, I wouldn't be surprised if Trump published some sort of half credible healthplan, if that's what it takes to save him- not that it would necessarily. but pre-existing condition coverage under Obamacare is popular, even in states where Obama isn't popular (the link to Obama is played down). Obamacare itself borrowed heavily from the Heritage Foundation ideas.
Labour, Generally.

People won't change their minds overnight, nor eve[…]

Angela Rayner

Don't read the Mail comments. I do however think […]

Michael Gove

Is this policy even popular among Brexiters? I mea[…]

The Tories, Generally

Extending free meals during a pandemic is going to[…]