Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 56 % ❤ 1.1 % :thumbsup: 12 % 😯 2.6 % :grinning: 19.9 % 🧥 0.4 % 🙏 1.1 % 😟 2.6 % :cry: 3.4 % :shit: 0.8 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Someone in the Facebook forest said, in relation to Johnson’s desperately poor responses to Keir Starmer at the Commons despatch box, that you know when a government is past its sell-by date when it starts accusing the opposition of running the country down.

Well, this is where we are with respect to the Johnson government.

Starmer’s response today was to point out, rightly, that he wasn’t “running down” our NHS, or the British people that have done so well during the past 6 months of the pandemic. He was rightly criticising the Tory government’s shambolically incompetent handling of so many aspects of the crisis since it began.

This was just one reason why tonight’s PPB was so impressive. It picked up and continued the theme of praising the British people, our NHS, all the good things that there still are (just) about the UK.

And it again introduced Keir Starmer to the British people – raised in a working class family, parents looked after by our NHS, siblings employed by that health service. The progress he was able to make in the law profession, rising to the very top to serve with distinction as Director of Public Prosecutions. The importance of patriotism – shared by Labour, under NEW leadership.

The PPB was pitched absolutely perfectly, and was so clearly in line with the (to coin a phrase) the 4 year plan that Starmer has to see a Labour government elected in 2024.

Phase One: emphasise that Labour has changed – we are “under new leadership” and is now serious about winning the privilege of governing the country. Stress the inequalities fostered by Tory governments for the past ten years, and exposed so starkly by the pandemic crisis.

Phase Two : continue to build Labour’s image in the public eye as the next government in waiting, and Keir Starmer as the next Prime Minister in waiting (this to some extent already done). Start winning elections : local elections in England and Wales, Scottish parliamentary elections, Mayoral and PCC elections, parliamentary by-elections. Build Labour’s momentum (pardon the expression) towards 2 May 2024, all the while reminding the electorate that it’s okay – it's *desirable* – to vote Labour again. Stick the knife in on Johnson and/or his successor while their government continues to implode, as it inevitably will in the grim recession brought on jointly by the pandemic and Johnson’s own shambolic Brexit.

Phase 3, the final phase, in around 2023, is to develop a clear, credible, and coherent policy offer (and the role model here is Blair’s simple 5 early pledges in 1996/7, not the 2019 manifesto that Len McCluskey himself described the day after polling day as “an incontinent mess”) that the electorate can truly believe that Labour is capable of delivering.

When 1st May 1997 eventually came along, people knew very clearly what their task was – to boot out a venally ineffectual Tory government and vote in a new, bright, hope-filled government – a Labour government. And they went about that task willingly, enthusiastically, and in great numbers, marching purposefully to the polling stations. That’s where we want to be in 2024, and Keir Starmer has a clear plan to get us there.

As Hannibal Smith used to say, I love it when a plan comes together.
oboogie, Boiler, mr angry manchester and 4 others liked this

By crabcakes_windermere
Saw some random tweeter saying why hadn't Corbyn been allowed to do a lovely PPB where he could introduce where he grew up, how hard he worked and how his close family support the NHS.

Setting aside the baseless suggestion he was sabotaged from doing so, I suspect the fact he grew up in a 17th century country mansion, went to private school, then grammar - scraping just two Es at A-level - before going on an extended gap year to South America, and his close family includes a batshit insane mask-denying anti-vaxxer, might go some way to answering that.

By Malcolm Armsteen
There's nothing like a Corbynite in full 'attack of the vapours' mode.

As I understand it the Labour Party is following a strategy that they have used before, and is not well comprehended by the hard-of-thinking. When faced with a bill (usually a composite) which contains elements they can't accept but other parts they may be able to modify they abstain on the first reading. Then oppose at the committee stage and second reading. It happened when Margaret Beckett was interim leader. I don't know the details of this one (and can't really be bothered to find out), but that's the principle.

Some people can't follow that. They feel they have to vote against at every opportunity, which may lead to not being able to amend the bill - for reasons I personally haven't gone into in this case. They are doing opposition as a performative art, symbolic gestures and all that.

A PPS has to follow the party whip or resign - or be removed. These PPS decided to go against the whip (shades of the Allotment Maharishi) so had to leave their posts.

It really isn't a big deal, however Guido is spinning it.
oboogie liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Neither do you waste political capital on battles you won't win. This bill looks almost tailor-made to make the LOTO the story; 'Starmer supports his moneybags lawyer pals over our brave boys'. The bill stinks but not a hill worth getting shot on.
oboogie liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
She's only 24, so she's potentially got lots of time ahead of her as a backbench Jez. I wonder if she'll move to the centre, like Peter Hain did? I do notice that there's current no metro mayor covering Nottingham. That might be something she could be interested in, I suppose.

By Tubby Isaacs
I found the CV odd. Gave up university for financial reasons? Sajid Javid abolished grants, which was a terrible policy and would have left lots of poor students destitute, but is that what she's talking about? But her parents had enough money to send her to private school when she was 7-11.

By davidjay
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:29 pm
I found the CV odd. Gave up university for financial reasons? Sajid Javid abolished grants, which was a terrible policy and would have left lots of poor students destitute, but is that what she's talking about? But her parents had enough money to send her to private school when she was 7-11.
Change of family circumstances perhaps? Or maybe they got fed up of her bemoaning their petit bourgeois lifestyle.
oboogie liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
Yeah, that's definitely possible. We're talking about a decade after she went to private school. Now I think about it, the same thing happened to me in much less than 10 years. My mum gave up work in 1993, and having gone to private school till 1990, I got a grant for my last university year (1994-5). I dunno though. I'd expect to see a bit more detail on this from an aspiring politician.
Daily Telegraph

Julie should be clearing up on the populist rentag[…]

The Trump Presidency

Ouch. END OUR NATIONAL CRISIS The Case Again[…]

Sir Keir Starmer

The argument that we should vote to stay in the EU[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Ha ha, One for the Brexit then v now thread.