Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 31.8 % :thumbsup: 9.1 % :grinning: 40.9 % 🧥 2.3 % 😟 9.1 % :cry: 4.5 % :shit: 2.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Oblomov
Red Rishi making an announcement at 12.30 today, possibly a U-turn on the furlough scheme ending? He's managed to have his finger on the public pulse somewhat so far.

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
An apology for eat out to help out, the announcement of a judicial enquiry into the mismanagement of the crisis coupled with the profiteering that went with it and the immediate introduction of universal basic income would be a start. We can take the post office and public transport back into public ownership next month. Imaginative and creative - just like the pissed sex yeti promised. :wink:

By Boiler
The Red Arrow wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:51 am
We can take [...] public transport back into public ownership next month.
It seems that after twenty years, the idiotic franchise system for the railways has been terminated (why didn't New Labour bin rail privatisation as soon as it got in?). It would seem the railways are to be run as concessions now.

By Tubby Isaacs
Boiler wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:26 am

It seems that after twenty years, the idiotic franchise system for the railways has been terminated (why didn't New Labour bin rail privatisation as soon as it got in?). It would seem the railways are to be run as concessions now.
Franchising worked well enough till the Treasury got greedy. Doubtless in 2010, pushing the train companies harder looked like free money for the government. They got away with it in the short term with companies overbidding and foreign state-backed operators bidding for experience ahead of EU-mandated competition on their own railways. But once you've pushed it beyond a level where the company can't make any profit, the franchise is fucked, the current holder tries to find a way out while cutting costs, and it's much harder to find serious bidders.

But it's more complicated than a concession or management fee model, I agree.

By Tubby Isaacs
There was some bad luck with the first National Express failure in that they took over just at the wrong time for business travel to get hit by the credit crunch and Great Recession. National Express have gone on to run franchises in Germany, so I'd be surprised if they hadn't been competent.

At least these franchises made it past court, unlike when First Group won the WCML.

By crabcakes_windermere
Despite the quarter-arsed efforts of yesterday, it seems Johnson's former fan club have found a new popstar to swoon over...

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politic ... 56206.html

The funny part here would be if Johnson, being the vain, egotistical shit he is, and/or Cummings, fearing a challenge to his unquestioned power, started sabotaging Sunak to dim his star - in the process knackering the one current cabinet member with even the slightest chance of looking credible against Starmer.

By Bones McCoy
There are murmurings against Sunak in the client press.

I've not paid much attention to the detail, but some appear to be contructing absurd scenarios along the lines of:
A firm employing 6 people on one third time will have to pay more than one employing 4 people on half time
There's also a grumble that Limited company owners who pay themselves from dividends aren't getting any help.
This seems to have originated from Laura Kuenssberg, which probably says a lot her sources of income.

Dividends are a tricky one.
I know a lot of IT contractors who try to put as much money through dividends as possible.
In their case it's a tax efficient decision.
There are probably other workers in much less affluent sectors who are genuinely struggling, so I don't like to be too judgemental.

In this case I have some sympathy with Sunak.
If he starts to compensate for lost dividends, then he'll be liable to every shareholder and investment house in the country.
Before you know it you're doling out compo for lost commercial rents, underperforming house prices, and disappointing scrip-dividends.

It seems to me that our baroque tax regime with all its funny loopholes needs a thorough overhaul.

By Boiler
Bones McCoy wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:52 pm
Dividends are a tricky one.
I know a lot of IT contractors who try to put as much money through dividends as possible.
In their case it's a tax efficient decision.
There are probably other workers in much less affluent sectors who are genuinely struggling, so I don't like to be too judgemental.

In this case I have some sympathy with Sunak.
If he starts to compensate for lost dividends, then he'll be liable to every shareholder and investment house in the country.
Before you know it you're doling out compo for lost commercial rents, underperforming house prices, and disappointing scrip-dividends.

It seems to me that our baroque tax regime with all its funny loopholes needs a thorough overhaul.
Paying yourself through dividends is far more common than you think. I'm one of them.

Is this forced on us by leaving the Customs Unio[…]

Priti Patel

With no access to EU criminal databases this is […]

The Tories, Generally

2020- Tory MP reinvents the Big Society. And stops[…]

Meanwhile in Belgium

Media on the mainland are reporting that Belgian F[…]