Political talk from outside of the UK
:sunglasses: 32.9 % ❤ 2.7 % :thumbsup: 24 % 😯 9.6 % :grinning: 19.2 % 🙏 1.4 % 😟 6.2 % :cry: 3.4 % :shit: 0.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Boiler
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54274115
Mr Trump was asked by a reporter on Wednesday evening if he would commit to a peaceful transfer of power "win, lose or draw" to Democrat Joe Biden. The president currently trails his challenger in national opinion polls with 41 days to go until the election.

"I've been complaining very strongly about the ballots," Mr Trump, a Republican, said. "And the ballots are a disaster."

When the journalist countered that "people are rioting", Mr Trump interjected: "Get rid of the ballots, and you'll have a very - you'll have a very peaceful - there won't be a transfer, frankly, there'll be a continuation."

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts

I don't know how far it works to separate white rural Appalachians from white mid Westerners, but this might explain why Biden seems to be doing worse in Pennsylvania than Wisconsin. The figures for rural white Texas and Georgia are stunning. You'd think it was very hard for Democrats to compete in those states, but they did in 2018 and seem to be this time. If I were them, I'd worry a lot about the underperformance in suburbs that this implies.

By Abernathy
Jonathan Freedland writes with similar foreboding in today's Grauniad. He envisages the legislators in battleground states where Biden shades the vote rejecting the legitimacy of the election and instead contriving to send delegates to the Electoral college who will vote for Trump, not Biden, effectively handing victory to Trump. Ultimately, this could see large progressive states such as California seceding from the union rather than submit to this calumny. And then, hey presto - the end of the USA.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... s-power-us
oboogie liked this
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
Interesting article, thanks for sharing. We've touched on this before, the possibility of a large state, like California, which rejects right wing stupidity seceding from the US.

It would be viable as a country on its own, it has a big enough economy.
oboogie liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
The latest scores on the doors from Nate Silver are quite encouraging for Biden.

As he says. Florida and Pennsylvania seem to be closing. But equally Biden has improved slightly in a few places (Texas, Minnesota, Ohio).

I don't know how plausible it is that state-level Republicans might refuse to cast their electors for Biden if he wins. But it looks unlikely to me that a Republican-governed state will be the tipping point. Quite a few Trumpy governors there, but mostly some way down the list. Florida could be the one- then again, isn't it always?

Everything is theatrics, maaan.

Shaun Bailey

I think Bailey might be spending more time talking[…]

Jeremy "Fucking off" Corbyn.

It just pisses me off that even when Corbyn is doi[…]

Sarah Vine aka Mrs Gove

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8861437[…]