Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 49.4 % ❤ 3.5 % :thumbsup: 9.1 % 😯 3.5 % :grinning: 25.1 % 🧥 1.2 % 🙏 1.1 % 😟 4.1 % :cry: 2.9 % :shit: 0.2 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:14 pm
Is this a better place than Dacre's own thread, maybe? Seeing it's got Charles Moore as well.

This might be a mischevious leak, so that a less strident but nonetheless wholly unsuitable appointment looks like it's moderate?
Why does Charles Moore look like another man wearing a cardboard Charles Moore mask?

By Tubby Isaacs
He's a stuffed shirt. Might as well have a suck on mask too.

In other news, thought I'd put this here rather than the Brexit threads. Not very good. Aren't we supposed to be rallying behind the Brexit flag and saying "shows why we right to leave all along"?

Some sort of deal might retrieve the situation a bit for a while, but hard to see how this wouldn't be a disappointment in the longer term.

By Timbo
I think once Boris caves at the last minute and takes whatever face-saving deal he's probably already agreed behind the scenes, the public are going to be very reluctant to revisit this subject for a long time.

Add to that the status quo bias that we see across the political spectrum in similarly Euro-cynical but better-governed countries like Norway and Switzerland, I can't see what has now become 'hard remain / rejoin' being attractive to enough of the electorate. It's one thing to say 'leaving was a mistake' but quite another to actually ask the voters to want to do anything about it.

The EU also has a pretty relentless barrage of severe existential threats heading its way over the coming decades. It's going to be a hard sell when there are likely to be constant battles over federalisation, pooling of debt, imposition of tax and fiscal policies on member states, not to mention the pending displacement of tens of millions of Africans and Asians by climate change, many of whom will be doing their level best to get into Schengen.

By Tubby Isaacs
Yeah, I don't think Rejoin is going to fly for a while. Even Ed Davey's Lib Dems have given up on that- and that's a party that could do with a snappy raison d'etre.

But we've already had 4 years of below par growth.
2019 1.4%
2018 1.3%
2017 1.9%
2016 1.9%
I know this was held up as brilliant ("see, we didn't collapse!") but there's going to be a lot of underlying weariness, even without Covid. Hard to see how this rebounds to the benefit of Johnson.

By Boiler
From the comments at https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54342688 - Boris Johnson 'misspoke' over North East Covid restrictions
Screenshot_2020-09-29 I 'misspoke' over North East Covid rules, says PM(1).png
Screenshot_2020-09-29 I 'misspoke' over North East Covid rules, says PM(1).png (4.44 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
Screenshot_2020-09-29 I 'misspoke' over North East Covid rules, says PM.png
Screenshot_2020-09-29 I 'misspoke' over North East Covid rules, says PM.png (6.4 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
Screenshot_2020-09-29 I 'misspoke' over North East Covid rules, says PM(2).png
Screenshot_2020-09-29 I 'misspoke' over North East Covid rules, says PM(2).png (4.01 KiB) Viewed 1736 times

By Andy McDandy
Anyone thinking that "...NOT!" is in any way or context acceptable can get in bin, set bin on fire, and douse said fire in sea.

Everything is theatrics, maaan.

Shaun Bailey

I think Bailey might be spending more time talking[…]

Jeremy "Fucking off" Corbyn.

It just pisses me off that even when Corbyn is doi[…]

Sarah Vine aka Mrs Gove

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8861437[…]