Political talk from outside of the UK
:sunglasses: 32.7 % ❤ 2.7 % :thumbsup: 24.5 % 😯 9.5 % :grinning: 19 % 🙏 1.4 % 😟 6.1 % :cry: 3.4 % :shit: 0.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I agree this won't kill him off, because his base are still delighted at what he's done in lowering taxes for the rich and packing the courts with conservatives. What it *does* do is blow his image of the successful businessman out of the water. When blue collar workers see he's paying less tax than them, that's going to resonate.

It's not about a single shot with Trump, it's death by paper cut. Each reveal chips off a few more votes here and there. This one will shave off a few more people who didn't like much of what he does, but were willing to support him because they thought his business skills would help the economy. Or a few guys who saw him as an alpha male rather than some serial deadbeat loser. Or people who look at the huge debt he has becoming due and think he's just a bad person to have in charge. And it keeps up the pressure on him - instead of going on the offensive all the Trump campaign is able to do is react, and when all you do is react you're always behind the game.

I don't think it's any coincidence that all these reveals are coming out now, with each one spaced to follow the last to achieve maximum traction. He's being played at his own game, and is losing because these revelations are both shocking AND factual.

By Boiler
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:37 am
Trump isn't invincible Boiler.
He's doing a pretty good impression of it so far and I suspect - regrettably - will continue to do so beyond 3/11.

The paying next to no tax thing? It will be dismissed as the mark of a successful businessman. I give you Jim Ratcliff of Ineos and other numerous residents of Monaco, such as Lewis Hamilton. Avenues that simply aren't available to the likes of you and me.

By Tubby Isaacs
Boiler wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:20 am
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:37 am
Trump isn't invincible Boiler.
He's doing a pretty good impression of it so far and I suspect - regrettably - will continue to do so beyond 3/11.

The paying next to no tax thing? It will be dismissed as the mark of a successful businessman. I give you Jim Ratcliff of Ineos and other numerous residents of Monaco, such as Lewis Hamilton. Avenues that simply aren't available to the likes of you and me.
Doubtless Lewis Hamilton moved to Switzerland to pay less tax, but he'll pay way more there than Trump has in America lately. And he's not running for office, so he doesn't have to care- though many people found his tax status jarring with his waving the Union Jack.

But Hamilton and Ratcliff's cases aren't really at all like Trump. Say what you like about either of them, they're successful men who've moved to minimize their tax bills. Trump is paying virtually no tax because he isn't successful lately, piling up losses all over the place. This is the complete opposite to how he's projected himself. And there's the extra problem that lots of what most people would see as personal expenses seem to have been treated as business expenses, and been allowed tax deductions.

He's already behind. Barring an "October Surprise" for Biden of this importance- hard to see what that would be- Trump is fucked.

By Tubby Isaacs
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:13 am
I agree this won't kill him off, because his base are still delighted at what he's done in lowering taxes for the rich and packing the courts with conservatives. What it *does* do is blow his image of the successful businessman out of the water. When blue collar workers see he's paying less tax than them, that's going to resonate.

It's not about a single shot with Trump, it's death by paper cut. Each reveal chips off a few more votes here and there. This one will shave off a few more people who didn't like much of what he does, but were willing to support him because they thought his business skills would help the economy. Or a few guys who saw him as an alpha male rather than some serial deadbeat loser. Or people who look at the huge debt he has becoming due and think he's just a bad person to have in charge. And it keeps up the pressure on him - instead of going on the offensive all the Trump campaign is able to do is react, and when all you do is react you're always behind the game.

I don't think it's any coincidence that all these reveals are coming out now, with each one spaced to follow the last to achieve maximum traction. He's being played at his own game, and is losing because these revelations are both shocking AND factual.
You don't just win with the base though. The thing with him last time is that he held nearly all regular Republican voters (apart from ones he could afford to lose, by luck or design, in eg Texas suburbs) and romped home with independents as a new broom who'd bring his business skills to sort everything out. If you're exposed as not having those business skills at all, and having lied your arse off about them for years, you're in trouble with those voters- he is already.

The Trump tax cuts aren't popular with the electorate, or particularly with the base. I'd be surprised if Republicans in close races even mentioned them.
The Tories, Generally

As someone said on there, paraphrased - the worst[…]

US election 2020

https://twitter.com/EricTrump/status/1319672735035[…]

Priti Patel

Oh my God. It's a rather high profile case, at a r[…]

Peter Hitchens

And extremely intelligent, and a critical thinker.