Discussion of other UK political parties
:sunglasses: 31.6 % ❤ 7.1 % :thumbsup: 3.2 % 😯 1.9 % :grinning: 33.5 % 🧥 3.2 % 🙏 0.6 % 😟 16.1 % :cry: 1.9 % :shit: 0.6 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
That's great Arrer. I remember another type he said they had in the early stages of the Western Desert campaign, an American design called the Lee Grant. He said they weren't very good.
mr angry manchester wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:41 pm
That's great Arrer. I remember another type he said they had in the early stages of the Western Desert campaign, an American design called the Lee Grant. He said they weren't very good.
Arrer will know that as the "Coffin for seven brothers", bit of a "designed by committee" one that.

Apols - great man beat me to it.
In which David Mitchell uses Laurence Fox as a scratching post:
Elsewhere, the party’s three key aims are expressed marginally more clearly as: to protect “freedoms of speech, expression, thought, association and academic inquiry”; “to reform publicly funded … institutions to ensure that they deliver on their primary purpose, free from political bias or agendas” (yes, he definitely means the BBC); and “to preserve and celebrate our shared national history, cultural inheritance and global contribution”.

The problem with these aims is that they completely contradict each other. The party says it wants freedom of speech but, by implication, Gary Lineker’s exercising of that freedom on social media shouldn’t be allowed because he’s employed by a public institution that should be “free from political bias”. When does the freedom to express yourself end and inappropriate “political bias” begin? Does anyone who takes a job with a publicly funded body forfeit freedom of expression?

And how can we “celebrate our shared national history” in a way that’s “free from political bias or agendas”? Asserting that British history is to be celebrated is itself an agenda. It’s taking what happened and putting a positive spin on it. Anyone who claims that all the facts of British history are self-evidently wonderful and glorious is a dangerous and delusional nationalist.
Marc Bolan was good at it, Beckham was even better, but Robbie Williams was/is the maestro - all the guys wanna be you and all the chicks wanna ride you till dawn. It's a tough trick but, if you can pull it off, it will guarantee untold riches.

Nowhere in the manual does it suggest Boycott Sainsbury's unless you will be content being the gammon guru of Stoke-on-Toast.

That Fox guy is a bit of a dick, innee?
Sainsburys: "We're taking a stand against racism, and if you don't like it don't visit our stores..."

L. Fox: "You woke bastards! I don't like what you're doing so me and thousands of my Twitter followers are going to boycott you!

Sainsburys: "...okay."

L. Fox: "NO! NOT LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!11"
Once again, the right have failed to cop on that this stuff (inclusion, recognition) within the corporate field is usually a business decision, and it's been processed by enough bean counters that Sainsbury or whatever know the end result will be more business.

If anything, them kicking off and declaring* boycotts will probably boost the thing further and it's a PR coup for Sainsbury's, for the mere act of saying "There's some history involving black people".

* I say declaring, because the right in Britain is not the most highly motivated political operations when it comes to anything that might slightly inconvenience them.
spoonman wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:11 pm
Sainsburys: "We're taking a stand against racism, and if you don't like it don't visit our stores..."

L. Fox: "You woke bastards! I don't like what you're doing so me and thousands of my Twitter followers are going to boycott you!

Sainsburys: "...okay."

L. Fox: "NO! NOT LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!11"
L. Fox: "Cancel culture exists! Cancel culture is evil! I'm going to lead a whole new political party that fights against it!"

L. Fox: "You woke bastards! I don't like what you're doing so me and thousands of my Twitter followers are going to boycott you!"

Twitter: "Isn't there a logical inconsistency in there somewhere?"
spoonman liked this
The Tories, Generally

No it isn't. It's his job and duty to do those thi[…]

Meanwhile in America

Mitch McConnell will go down as one of the greates[…]

Boris Johnson

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-546[…]

Labour, Generally.

That's the busiest part of the existing networ[…]