Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 49.3 % ❤ 3.5 % :thumbsup: 9 % 😯 3.6 % :grinning: 25.1 % 🧥 1.2 % 🙏 1.1 % 😟 4.1 % :cry: 2.8 % :shit: 0.2 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:56 pm
Ah yes, that well-known phrase, “Throw in the sponge” :roll:
Plastic Mancs, you see. They pretend to be some kind of real deal but, in truth, well, yeah. It's just a tribute act.
By satnav
I had to laugh today when Tory MPs were moaning in the commons that the government were not treating them with enough respect. What did these MPs expect when they elected Johnson as their leader. He has never had any respect for his fellow Tory MPs all he thinks about is himself.
By Dan
Membership Days Membership Days
I wonder if the end will be early to mid 2021.

He made a Faustian Bargain with the no-deal Brexit supporting part of electorate, Murdoch and some of his backbenchers last year. Now, I'm as anti lockdown as they come (I am NOT a conspiracy theorist, I know the virus exists and can be dangerous but I believe hard lockdowns and restrictions to be disproportionate and causing more damage than the virus) but events have very much overtaken Johnson and he won't have the luxury of four years now to "own the Left and enjoy the fruits of his Brexit labours ". The libertarian wing of his party, the most influential wing, smell blood.

He's being kept on for now to, as he would say, Get Brexit Done. He is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

He leaves without a deal - he has served his purpose. Thank you and goodbye. Covid is now the only issue in town and it's been a shambles, a shambles that has restricted civil liberties more than any other event in our lifetimes. A no deal exit means that he has served his purpose and it would then be time for someone to ride in to prepare for 2024 and if I was a betting man, I'd would think his initials would be R.S.

He leaves with a deal - he's as much of a traitor as May in their eyes. This is not the Brexit they wanted, he's out. They did for the last two Conservative leaders and he is no different.

Perhaps he knows this and wants to go. His complaints about money, that he's spent some of time as PM seriously ill, the fact he can't get out of Covid making "Churchillian" speeches, these may all be factors. He's already achieved his dream. It will then be about him getting his exit on his own terms. Will he be given it in exchange for their landslide majority?

This was the pact he made. The job he always wanted for courting people who will now turn on him no matter what he does.

This is why he looked like a naughty child who'd been caught behind the bike sheds smoking the day after the referendum when he was called in front of Cameron. This wasn't the way it was supposed to be. It was supposed to be a glorious defeat so he could appeal to both sides after in his bid for leadership after Cameron. So he could say to Remainers "well, I fought for what I believed in but you won, you spoke and now we must make the best of our relationship with Europe" and to Leavers "I tried but the Establishment were against us. I did my absolute best for you but there's nothing we can do now, I'll still snipe at Europe to serve your interests". To be an outward looking, cosmopolitan liberal and a reactionary, right-wing ultra conservative simultaneously.

None of this was how it was meant to be. I would say the heart bleeds but it really doesn't.

By Andy McDandy
The irony was that if anyone could have made the case for an arms-length but friendly relationship with the EU (just Customs Union membership would be enough to avoid most of the difficulties we're facing) and sold it to the Sun readers, it was him. But he played up to the extremists, alienated the reasonable wing, and is now stuck.
davidjay, Timbo, Samanfur and 1 others liked this
By mattomac
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:31 am
I suspect Alexander will be getting a memo to come and see the 1912 committee *very* soon...

Ouch,

I notice his latest with additional grovelling to Trump (you can’t rim him currently Boris he is not very well) was that the British public enjoyed themselves a bit too much.....

Err I can’t think who told them to “eat in to help out” and return to your offices to save Pret.
The Tories, Generally

No it isn't. It's his job and duty to do those thi[…]

Meanwhile in America

Mitch McConnell will go down as one of the greates[…]

Boris Johnson

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-546[…]

Labour, Generally.

That's the busiest part of the existing networ[…]