Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 35.2 % ❤ 5 % :thumbsup: 16.7 % 😯 1.7 % :grinning: 24.9 % 🧥 2 % 🙏 3 % 😟 6 % :cry: 3.7 % :shit: 1.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Change of tack (Apologies for the following wall of text).

Fed up with lying basterds describing their shitshow as "Australia Style" I went looking for a list of countries that trade with the EU on WTO terms.
I was hoping to find a nation that would terrify the Gammons like Somalia or Zimbabwe.

It proved difficult to locate a list (In fact I've not found one yet).
First you have to wade through Delingole's bullshit about Singapore, Japan and Israel (All have agreements).
The next 6 or 7 google hits are fact-checkers rebutting Delingpole's bullshit.
(There's hardly a better example of how to poison the well).

Then you hit the hard facts, but these tend to list all the agreements, and their signatories.
It's a process of elimination form then on.

I did find is that the EU has a blanket deal for Africa, and lots for other developing parts of the world.
(No Somalia - also gives the lie to those cunning gammons who described the EU as a "raycist trading blok").

Slightly stumped here: What would Dacre do?
Standard Forrin policy - pick "backward sounding" countries that are frightening or funny.

What's the funniest nation on earth: Kazakstan - Borat right?
Does not appear on https://trade.ec.europa.eu/tradehelp/fr ... agreements

How about somewhere absurdly small, remote and obscure - Kiribati. - They have a deal "Generalised Scheme of Preferences (GSP)".

How about terrifying: Nuclear Mullah loving Iran - Not present on the list.

So groovers: I've done the study so you don't have to.
From this point on we can correctly refer to this as.
Boris's wonderful Iranian style deal.
Or
The Borat-Johnson trade deal.
oboogie liked this
Bones McCoy wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:23 am
The Red Arrow wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:06 pm
Talking of dwarfs, has anybody seen - oh, never mind.
Grumpy?
No, Gropey
FTFY
I suspect the Tories probably gave up on Scotland psychologically around the Hague-IDS era, by which time their representation north of the border had been reduced to almost zero MP’s. Clearly, not much has changed from the mindset of that time, as evidenced by their behavior post Indyref (e.g. EVEL, Brexit, pursuing a No Deal outcome etc) – hardly the actions of a group of politicians eager to reach a durable, nationwide consensus.

A Conservative Party presided over by Boris Johnson and Dominic Cummings has little or no interest in resolving the current standoff with the Scottish electorate whatsoever. On the contrary, a government that thrives on division and rancor will feel extremely relaxed about the new political landscape in Scotland, so long as Labour are permanently down 30-40 MP’s from where they used to be. An entirely contrived “Scotland vs England” narrative earned them rich dividends in GE2015, and no doubt they plan to fight GE2024 on similar territory – “Labour cannot win without SNP support. Vote Conservative to protect our precious Union!”, that sort of gubbins. And, depressingly, it will probably work again.
“Labour cannot win without SNP support. Vote Conservative to protect our precious Union!”, that sort of gubbins. And, depressingly, it will probably work again.

Not if Labour develops a narrative for an independent or federalised England while the Tories are busy Union Jack waving. Next year’s Holyrood elections may show indy is inevitable and Keir’s not a man to fight battles you can’t win. The deal the SNP and Labour government should make in Westminster is we’ll give you the referendum if you back us on PR for GEs.
However... as has been pointed out upthread: the Nats can be as noisy as they like about a referendum but a referendum is entirely in the gift of Westminster.

Unless they do a UDI.
Boiler wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:49 am
Errrr....?

https://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/count ... azakhstan/
Boogers. Missed that during my enhanced google.
Make that:
Boris's "worse than Kazakstan" deal.
youngian wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:04 pm
“Labour cannot win without SNP support. Vote Conservative to protect our precious Union!”, that sort of gubbins. And, depressingly, it will probably work again.

Not if Labour develops a narrative for an independent or federalised England while the Tories are busy Union Jack waving. Next year’s Holyrood elections may show indy is inevitable and Keir’s not a man to fight battles you can’t win. The deal the SNP and Labour government should make in Westminster is we’ll give you the referendum if you back us on PR for GEs.
Labour blew one of their feet up when they appointed Jim "Skeletor" Murphy leader and proceeded to do all the tories dirty work during the Referendum.
With hindsight Kezia Dugdale wasn't the inspiring replacement who could row back from that damage.

Mister Starmer would do well to stand the troops down and let the Cummings / Johnson axis humiliate themselves in future discussions.
I'm not sure it's possible since Labour are desperate to reclaim their lost seats.

I'm not sure how it plays out if it comes to Scotland or the Red Wall.
I'd have my focus on winning the north of England back.
youngian wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:04 pm
The deal the SNP and Labour government should make in Westminster is we’ll give you the referendum if you back us on PR for GEs.
I can't see Labour touching that type of deal with a bargepole, to be honest. Any party which is perceived to have presided over the breakup of the UK - which, as things stand right now, would merely mean giving the green light to Indyref2 - may as well not bother turning up to another GE for the following fifty years. In the case of Labour, that would mean progressive politics being burnt to the ground for decades whilst the smirking Tories wrap themselves in the Union Jack and cry their crocodile tears.

I think Starmer is more likely to present himself as the quiet life candidate - "vote for me and I promise no more divisive referendums of any sort whilst I'm in charge", which might at least win back some wary Labour Leavers in their former Red Wall seats.

I'm not saying that would be the correct approach necessarily, just how I think things may play out.
Timbo liked this
It would actually be in the Tories interest for Scotland to become independent. It would get rid of 50/55? (don't know how many seats there are in Scotland, sorry) which are almost entirely non Tory.

Unfortunately for the rest of the country, it would virtually guarantee Tory government for the foreseeable future.

EDIT just checked, it's 59.
I can see Liz Truss arriving at Schipol screaming and panicking at customs; “Gimme back my cheese, I must have my cheese.”
Dutch Customs is reminding visitors that they cannot bring back into the Netherlands any tasty treats in their luggage from the UK such as Cheddar cheese, smoked salmon or clotted cream from the 1st January. Even a souvenir thistle from Scotland cannot be brought back. https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2020/10/h ... er-brexit/
They can get Irish cheddar in spades. The Dutch artisan cheese industry has come on leaps and bounds in the last twenty years to fill the void created by the monolithic prducers. Plus, there are another 10,000 or so serviceable cheeses to choose from within the Single Market.

There really are no winners.
oboogie liked this
Twat of the Day

Apple woman was a bit too obvious, so here's toda[…]

Poppy Day bingo

Complete with wrong colours on the Spit. :roll: […]

Nicola Sturgeon sounding like Michael Gove on Brex[…]

On the Radio

R4’s Across the Red line asks whether impart[…]