•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Membership Days Posts LikeBB
LondON. Global Britain picking symbolic fights with forrins. Can you even begin to imagine having breakfast with this mouth breather as he pores over a new day's headlines?

By Oblomov
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:31 pm
He's back. With more bollocks. And focussed on the real issues on the streets- town twinning.

Bailey will openly condemn but surreptitiously flog Chinese developers prime real estate for more half-uninhabited luxury medium rises with no affordable buys for the social housing residents they just booted out.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
That's been pretty much Government policy on London for ages- we're giving you cuts, you need to raise money from developers. In a sense, I suppose that's fair. A few poorer places outside of London would like the option of doing that and having more money and more local jobs, and they'd have a point. But what I don't think people can argue is that "London gets it all its own way" etc. Most people who live in London don't want big blocks of expensive flats built on the corner of their estate or their local pub knocked down and converted into flats.

In other news, I hadn't seen this. I don't know if Bailey's responded. Maybe he's waiting till Sadiq Khan accepts before blaming him for it.

By davidjay
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:52 am
That's been pretty much Government policy on London for ages - we're giving you cuts, you need to raise money from developers. In a sense, I suppose that's fair. A few poorer places outside of London would like the option of doing that and having more money and more local jobs, and they'd have a point. But what I don't think people can argue is that "London gets it all its own way" etc. Most people who live in London don't want big blocks of expensive flats built on the corner of their estate or their local pub knocked down and converted into flats.
Rich London does get its own way, and probably always has. But beneath the developments and tourist traps there are millions of people struggling to eke out a living in one of the most expensive cities in the world. When you live outside and go there to visit, moan about the price of a pint and a sandwich, look in estate agents' windows and marvel at the prices being charges for shoeboxes, how many then stop to think where those who pour the pints, make the sandwiches and clean the offices live? In a quarter of a room in somewhere like Grenfell Tower is the answer, but the solution is far too complex so they go back home and moan about prices down there and how London gets everything.

By Tubby Isaacs
davidjay wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:08 pm

Rich London does get its own way, and probably always has. But beneath the developments and tourist traps there are millions of people struggling to eke out a living in one of the most expensive cities in the world. When you live outside and go there to visit, moan about the price of a pint and a sandwich, look in estate agents' windows and marvel at the prices being charges for shoeboxes, how many then stop to think where those who pour the pints, make the sandwiches and clean the offices live? In a quarter of a room in somewhere like Grenfell Tower is the answer, but the solution is far too complex so they go back home and moan about prices down there and how London gets everything.
Yeah, rich London has lots of poor people, always has. But I'm making a slightly different point here- I don't anybody much supports the rampant development, not even most rich Londoners. London's basically run in the interests of the Exchequer, which isn't really the same thing as saying it's run in the interest of the rich (except in that the rich might pay higher taxes if it were run differently).
The Tories, Generally

As someone said on there, paraphrased - the worst[…]

US election 2020

https://twitter.com/EricTrump/status/1319672735035[…]

Priti Patel

Oh my God. It's a rather high profile case, at a r[…]

Peter Hitchens

And extremely intelligent, and a critical thinker.