Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 35 % ❤ 5.1 % :thumbsup: 16.7 % 😯 1.7 % :grinning: 24.8 % 🧥 1.9 % 🙏 2.9 % 😟 5.8 % :cry: 4.4 % :shit: 1.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
If you're a Francophone...

"It is no part of the duty of the leaders of the 27 countries who are staying in the European Union to make the British Prime Minister happy." :lol:
Kreuzberger wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:12 pm
They can get Irish cheddar in spades. The Dutch artisan cheese industry has come on leaps and bounds in the last twenty years to fill the void created by the monolithic prducers. Plus, there are another 10,000 or so serviceable cheeses to choose from within the Single Market.

There really are no winners.
Likewise, if there's a market in the EU for smoked salmon or clotted cream, I'm sure there are continental producers ready to supply it (if they're not already).
Likewise, if there's a market in the EU for smoked salmon or clotted cream, I'm sure there are continental producers ready to supply it (if they're not already).

If not, generous resettlement grants available for Brits who can.
oboogie liked this
These are tactics to bail out a friend. Johnson is not your friend.
The EU Has a Plan to Get a Brexit Deal: Let Johnson Claim He Won

Deep in the European Commission’s Brussels headquarters, officials are plotting how to make it look like Boris Johnson is a brilliant negotiator.
Johnson, who had been unhappy about the pace of negotiations and at the EU’s repeated demands for concessions, said on Friday he would only reopen discussions if the bloc showed “some fundamental change of approach.”

But EU officials, and senior diplomats from Europe’s biggest capitals, say they are relaxed about the U.K.’s posturing, which they say they recognize is necessary for Johnson to be able to sell a compromise to euro-skeptics at home. One official described the current standoff as theatrics. Another called Friday’s statement an expected and artificial provocation. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... aim-he-won
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:15 am
Is this forced on us by leaving the Customs Union, or something we're doing for other reasons. Hardly buccaneering free trade.

William Shatner, of all people, was pointing this out on Twitter a few days ago. Sorry I haven't a link to it, on mobile ATM.

Edit:

As you say, not the vision of a "free trade Britain" that is being touted by the spoofers.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... of-england

The oven ready deal is taking shape.
"Here's the letter from Peter McSwinney cited by Newsnight (11/11/20) telling HMRC that Brexit customs system not ready and trade could be paralysed.
House of Lords heard same two days ago. Witnesses said system was not reliable, not ready
HMRC denied it all..."

#Fuckbusiness

The Tories, Generally

I do wonder if they're trying to compete for some […]

What did the General Secretary actually rule was[…]

Sir Keir Starmer

Interesting, even taking into account my mistrus[…]

Odin in an Opel! https://twitter.com/rachaelven[…]