Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 47.9 % ❤ 2.3 % :thumbsup: 12.1 % 😯 5.5 % :grinning: 22.1 % 🧥 1.4 % 🙏 2.1 % 😟 0.7 % :cry: 5.5 % :shit: 0.5 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Dr Kieran Mullan (Crewe and Nantwich) (Con)
There are roughly 14 million people living in relative poverty this year. In 2000, there were roughly 14 million people living in relative poverty. Why were Labour not able to fix the problems of relative poverty when they were in power?

Kate Green
Perhaps the hon. Gentleman would like me to enlighten him on the poverty figures during Labour’s period in office. In 2010-11, there were 3.5 million children living in relative poverty. Today, the figure after housing costs is 4.2 million.
Ouch.

By KevS
"This Black Lives Matter thing is wrong. Surely ALL Lives Matter"

"OK, so that'll include the poor sods risking life and limb to cross the Channel."

"NO, NOT LIKE THAT.... Er, we should be helping our own."

"Righto, better feed those kids then."

"NO, NOT LIKE THAT EITHER."
Malcolm Armsteen, Zuriblue, Oblomov and 3 others liked this

By Andy McDandy
I seriously think that their vanity, and insistence that nothing can proceed unless it's co(o)ked up in Downing Street and has the Johnson-Cummings logo sprayed on it will be their undoing.

I get why - to admit that someone else has had a good idea is to admit that particular form of weakness they can't stand. It doesn't fit in with their perpetual fight-picking strategy. But when you've literally got the entire country pointing out that you're fucking this one up, it takes a special amount of pig-headedness to stick to your guns.

If Johnson had the opportunity or foresight, he'd be happily standing on the back of a truck, chucking packed lunches to suitably grateful kids, a la Trump with loo rolls in Puerto Rico.

Sadly, I can see where this will lead. Massive outpouring of personal and SME business largesse, followed by Rees-Mogg saying how wonderfully uplifting the episode is, and further proof of how big-hearted we all are, before he fucks off to gorge himself on quails.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Andy McDandy wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:31 pm
Sadly, I can see where this will lead. Massive outpouring of personal and SME business largesse, followed by Rees-Mogg saying how wonderfully uplifting the episode is, and further proof of how big-hearted we all are, before he fucks off to gorge himself on ortolans.
FTFY

By Tubby Isaacs
Interesting developments is councils stepping in to fund the meals, including notorious leftists, Kensington and Chelsea. Sure, they're in need of good PR, but I don't think they'll be the last Tory council who'll want to stop the government cutting its own throat.

I wonder if the government may start phoning a few of their colleagues in local government up and saying "Don't worry, we'll cover the cost!" Nice way out of the shit they're in.

Or maybe Cummings will edit and old blog post to say how he's always been in favour of more free school meals.

By Andy McDandy
Local elections next year. Nobody wants out of work former councillors with good contacts in the local media roaming about looking for a whinge.

By Oblomov
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-54660387

Tory cunts will be rubbing their hands in glee at The Big Society getting to work.

By Samanfur
Was anyone else watching BBC Parliament earlier?

The adjournment debate was led by the MP for Kensington and Chelsea, and was basically a bunch of Tory nodding dogs from the capital whining about how "the London economy" pays so much in tax, how vital the trickle-down from London is to the rest of the country, and how that, house prices and the cost of living means that their constituents need even more help to pay their rents et al than everyone else.

When Andy Burnham asked for the same sort of consideration for local circumstances, the Tories weren't so keen.

Lots of complaining about how we need Shaun Bailey to be the Mayor, because Sadiq Khan has run London into the floor and obviously just wants the title rather than the job (projection much?).

A rather telling comment about how it's all Khan's fault that nobody's got faith in TfL, and we have shameful figures of people "back in work" compared to Paris.

No word on whether "back in work" meant actually working - which is probably still being done from those nice London homes for those who can afford it - or being physically present in an office to pay central London rents, and buy lunch at Pret.

All wrapped up by said MP from Kensington pleading about how much London needs this help, and especially places like her constituency that have some of the richest and poorest areas side by side.

If only their constituents had elected someone to a body which could've done something about that, eh, readers?

By Tubby Isaacs
They've got all of 5 MPs in Inner London, and that's if you count Wimbledon and Finchley-Golders Green as inner London. And arguably they only won 3 of those (Kensington, Cities London-Westminster and Wimbledon) because it wasn't clear who to vote for tactically to beat them. I think they need to wind their necks in on speaking for London.

Admittedly they do better in Outer London, with 15 seats. Plenty of Tory commuters among them. Perhaps this MP (who I see is called Felicity Buchan) could ring some of them up. Or maybe she could ring up some of her ex-investment bank colleagues. Reckon many of them will say "We're only working from home because of Sadiq Khan"?
Sir Keir Starmer

I agree with most of 3-10 its standard left wing a[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

You can easily have multiple threads of feeling on[…]

Richard Littlejohn

I knew he would get triggered when the government […]

The Tories, Generally

This is the Tory concept of charity. https://pb[…]