Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 36.4 % ❤ 4.5 % :thumbsup: 4.5 % 😯 18.2 % :grinning: 22.7 % 😟 9.1 % :cry: 4.5 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By AOB
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Mr Hancock is today under mounting pressure to come clean about his actions after the witness insisted: 'I stand 100 per cent by my story. I know what I saw, and when.'

Yet the Health Secretary has refused 30 times to say whether he returned to the Commons Smoking Room bar after a 9.40pm vote.
He's a contemptuous, odious, little weasel of a man.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -them.html

By Boiler
He's just trolling now, I swear.
The public face fines of £200 if they fail to wear a covering in taxis or private hire cars.

There is an exemption for chauffeur-driven cars, but Downing Street said it had advised all its ministers to wear coverings.

A No 10 spokesman said there were masks available in all ministerial cars.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54605222

By Kreuzberger
For the BBC to "understand", that contention needs to be corroborated by two credible sources. Them's the rules.

Anything else is just the stenography which so often passes for journalism.
Tubby Isaacs liked this

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
In which Handcock shows he's never had a job in the real world, doesn't know about so many business' policies on sick leave, and doesn't know anything about disciplinary processes in Government Departments either.

Britons should stop "soldiering on" by going to work when sick and making others ill, the health secretary says.

Matt Hancock said people in the UK were "peculiarly unusual and outliers" for still going to work when unwell.

He made the comments in a joint session of the Health and Social Care and the Science and Technology committees...

..."Why in Britain do we think it's acceptable to soldier on and go into work if you have flu symptoms or a runny nose, thus making your colleagues ill?

"I think that's something that is going to have to change...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55061543

He's right. That *does* have to change.

..."If you have, in future, flu-like symptoms, you should get a test for it and find out what's wrong with you, and if you need to stay at home to protect others, then you should stay at home.

"We are peculiarly unusual and outliers in soldiering on and still going to work, and it kind of being the culture that 'as long as you can get out of bed you still should get into work'. That should change...
We are not "peculiarly unusual ... in soldiering on". The need to come in to work when feeling unwell for fear of discipline/sacking was imported from good ol' USA business practices - as if Handcock didn't know.

Is he advocating a u-turn on business (including Civil Service) practice, so instead of being disciplined or sacked for having "too many" sick-days, employees will be disciplined or sacked for turning up with a cold?*

He can't have it both ways.

Ideally it would be neither, but there's no money to be made paying people to sit at home when they're not actually bed-ridden.

By Boiler
Worse still, the Bradford score.

https://www.bradfordfactorcalculator.com/

Used to determine disciplinary action for being sick - the idea being that a person being off once for say, ten days in a row is less disruptive to a business than the same person being off work for a day ten times.

On a ZHC or being freelance, sick pay is a "wassat?"

By Andy McDandy
Ladies and gentlemen, I offer you...the very first post on this thread!

Amid censorious talk of strivers and skivers, the government has been forced to explain why a minister failed to turn up for a pre-arranged breakfast debate on the subject of apprenticeships. The answer appears to be that Matthew Hancock couldn't get out of bed.

The 34-year-old West Suffolk MP and skills minister had agreed to appear on the ITV breakfast show Daybreak to defend the new traineeships scheme with activist Ian Pattison of Youth Fight for Jobs.

At 6.30am on Thursday, Pattison was ready on the London studio sofa, but there was no sign of the minister. Programme staff said that on calling his home, they were informed he was still in bed. Pattison had to carry on as the sole interviewee.

"Can you imagine my surprise when I discovered a minister whose government berates so-called 'shirkers', couldn't be bothered to get out of bed to defend his own policy," Pattison said afterwards. "If the minister was a jobseeker, he could lose his benefits for up to three months for such an offence. Luckily, he doesn't have to worry about things like that. Hancock's traineeship scheme is the latest gimmick coming out of the Tories to disguise the fact they have failed to tackle the staggering problems of unemployment affecting young people."

Stung by Twitter revelations of his transgression, a clearly chastened Hancock, George Osborne's former chief of staff, said he only just failed to make the appointment. "I was 30 seconds late for my interview at 6.40 this morning, so they wouldn't let me into the studio to make my case," he said.

As to past criticisms of those who would skive not strive: "It proves the point. You've got to be on time for work or there are consequences. I'll learn from my own example."
The Tories, Generally

What's Amanda Milling done that's upset them? Why […]

US election 2020

I don’t have high expectations of the Trum[…]

Sir Keir Starmer

Hard right tax cutters don’t let deficit[…]

Brexination-1.jpg