•  
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:38 am

No pooftahs.
I'm not convinced. It's easy to be complacent when you're at a distance, but do these "values" voters really care all that much about them? Cameron paid no obvious electoral price for gay marriage, just like Blair didn't for equalizing the age of consent.

Certainly a few people want to import US culture wars, but they've got far more roots there, through evangelical churches (even if there are hopeful signs of relative decline). But does eg Rochdale sit there tutting at immorality in Manchester? Does Leigh leave the pub early on a Saturday because it's got to get up for church?
Boiler liked this

By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts LikeBB
It's really a shorthand for something bigger. No metrosexuals, no clever people, no vegans, no uppity women, shut up I'm trying to watch this, no fannying about, no wimps, no people with glasses, I don't know how to boil an egg and I'm proud of it, no poncey drinks in pubs, no diversity officers, no long words, shut up you're doing me head in, no fucking French wankers, no cyclists, no fucking boring books, NO POOFTAHS!
Boiler, Samanfur liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Ah, get you.

I can see that's what Johnson and Cummings think is happening. I'm not sure. I reckon they got lucky electorally with Brexit and Corbyn. There were obviously cultural elements in Brexit, particularly around immigration. But early signs are we'll get lots of that under Johnson too.

Funny how Goodwin's not been on the government's case about this immigration, isn't it?

By Boiler
Posts LikeBB
Encapsulated neatly in a post I read elsewhere in a response to a right-winger:
(the fact that you use ‘progressives’ as a snarl word, to coin your phrase, speaks volumes doesn’t it)
Tubby Isaacs liked this

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
It's also worth noting having read said article that it doesn't quite match what Goodwin is saying with several people expressing unhappiness or anger at Johnson and co. Also looking through his twitter feed he doesn't seem to have much to say about white working class kids going hungry.

Tubby Isaacs, youngian liked this

If the vaccine proves to be Thalidomide 2.0 in the[…]

US election 2020

He's probably in hiding now, due to death threats.

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Commentariat are spinning this as proof of intern[…]

On the Radio

Driving home tonight, The Moral Maze , on the sub[…]