Political talk from outside of the UK
:sunglasses: 32.4 % ❤ 4 % :thumbsup: 21.7 % 😯 7.9 % :grinning: 25.3 % 🙏 1.2 % 😟 4.3 % :cry: 2.8 % :shit: 0.4 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
On the ground reporting from Texas.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/10/30 ... tion-2020/
Six years ago, Collin County was so solidly Republican that many of its representatives in Austin and Washington didn’t even draw Democratic opponents. Now three of them find themselves in their most competitive November races yet.

It is one sign of how quickly the political environment has shifted in the suburban county north of Dallas, which is now an emerging battleground important to understanding Texas in 2020. Unlike some suburban counties in 2018, Collin did not flip in statewide results — but a once-overwhelming GOP advantage continued to narrow and next week’s election could be the tipping point.

“It’s just changed,” said Sharon Hirsch, the Democrat challenging state Rep. Matt Shaheen, R-Plano. “It’s no surprise — it’s growing, it’s becoming more diverse, we have a highly educated population. They’re focused on basic issues like great schools and safe communities and health care. They’re not focused on the fringe-right issues, and that’s where our representation is right now, and I think it’s fixin’ to change.”

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts LikeBB
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:09 pm
Pretty much guaranteed to be actual Congressman suggests not letting Americans vote in Alabama till they've lived there for 5 years. Plus something about tax I don't understand.

It's

put through google translate.
Tubby Isaacs liked this

By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts LikeBB
Bones McCoy wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:18 am
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:09 pm
Pretty much guaranteed to be actual Congressman suggests not letting Americans vote in Alabama till they've lived there for 5 years. Plus something about tax I don't understand.

It's

put through google translate.
Goes back to my old contention that if the conservative's boogieman du jour wanted to end the Republican party, they don't need to engage in the many and varied conspiracies they stand accused of. They just need to move jobs requiring higher education to red and purple states.

The idea that Arizona and Texas' newfound hint of blue is down to transplanted Californians and therefore illegitimate had been gathering pace amongst the fringe right for a while now. It's mostly bollocks, mind you, but it's worth keeping an eye on.

By AOB
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I'm not going to stay awake this year for the results. Miserable memories of last time. I don't care what the polls say. I remember what they said last time so I'm not raising my hopes. Although, I suppose I am actually. :?
Tubby Isaacs, Timbo, youngian and 1 others liked this

By Timbo
It won't be resolved by morning. Trump won't concede, no matter what.
His lame duck period with nothing left to lose terrifies me almost as much as him winning another 4 years.
Catkins liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:50 pm
This is worrying.

Sounds like lots of seniors voted drive-thru so the Dem advantage might not be that high. I don't think its going to be worth their while electorally. If it comes down to a few thousand votes in Texas, they're fucked anyway. This'll stroke, if it passed, would be a permanent turnout booster for the Democrats.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts LikeBB
AOB wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:01 pm
I'm not going to stay awake this year for the results. Miserable memories of last time. I don't care what the polls say. I remember what they said last time so I'm not raising my hopes. Although, I suppose I am actually. :?
They’ll be no global progress on climate change if Trump’s re-elected. So its not hyperbole to say that we could wake up to the end of the world on Wednesday morning. With lockdown to look forward to on Thursday.

By AOB
Timbo wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:23 pm
It won't be resolved by morning. Trump won't concede, no matter what.
His lame duck period with nothing left to lose terrifies me almost as much as him winning another 4 years.
That period when he had a war of words with Kim Jong-Un was very disturbing and worrying, to put it mildly. Google searches connected with WW3 went off the charts. Fucking sickening he put the world through that. I only felt reassured after finding articles detailing the chain of command needed to launch a nuclear warhead. He can't do it alone. I didn't know that for a fact at the start of it though. But nevertheless, I have always wondered about the damage he can do in the 2 months after losing the election.
By mattomac
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:27 pm
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:50 pm
This is worrying.

Sounds like lots of seniors voted drive-thru so the Dem advantage might not be that high. I don't think its going to be worth their while electorally. If it comes down to a few thousand votes in Texas, they're fucked anyway. This'll stroke, if it passed, would be a permanent turnout booster for the Democrats.
Also seems Texas Supreme Court have rejected calls to halt it previously so highly unlikely it goes anywhere.

More worrying is that poll in Iowa, mirrors Trump’s Midwest polls from 2016, though shift of independents seems odd.

By Tubby Isaacs
mattomac wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:03 am

Also seems Texas Supreme Court have rejected calls to halt it previously so highly unlikely it goes anywhere.

More worrying is that poll in Iowa, mirrors Trump’s Midwest polls from 2016, though shift of independents seems odd.
Haven't seen the Iowa poll. Biden doesn't really need it, but the worry is that Ernst holds her Senate seat if Trump does well.

It seems like the US Supreme Court can still still get involved in the Texas case. I don't know whether they'd give any weight to the Texas Supreme Court not having wanted to. That might be a nice out for them because, Republican hacks though they are, it's better for them not to be too obvious in every case.

By Samanfur
Trump Writes 'I Love Texas!' Over Video Of MAGA Truck Attack On Biden Caravan

President Donald Trump appeared to celebrate in a tweet Saturday a dangerous MAGA truck ambush of Joe Biden’s bus caravan on a busy Texas highway the previous day.

“I LOVE TEXAS!” posted the president over a video of a truck nearly sideswiping Biden’s campaign bus on Interstate 35 near Austin. He later happily crowed at a Pennsylvania rally that it was a “hot thing.”

There are some people that when you first see them[…]

US election 2020

Biden close to 7 million lead now. Think most of t[…]

Roll Call

A little something from over here in the East whic[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Commentariat are spinning this as proof of intern[…]