Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 35.9 % ❤ 5.2 % :thumbsup: 17 % 😯 1.8 % :grinning: 24.3 % 🧥 1.8 % 🙏 2.7 % 😟 5.5 % :cry: 4.1 % :shit: 1.6 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sadly, I can't access the whole article as I'm not a subscriber, but:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/advi ... rs-europe/
Could Brexit signal the end of the road for second-home owners in Europe?

New rules will limit the amount of time Britons can spend in their foreign boltholes.
Schengen, apparently.
Shit. Really?! I'm sorry to hear that, Malc.

No wonder my mate was traipsing between the South of France and Norfolk all summer dealing with his place :shock:

I suppose the thing here is to wait and see what the detail of all this is going to be.

There's more detail here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rules.html
Furious British expats have blasted post-Brexit travel rules which will prevent them from spending more than three months at a time at a holiday home in the EU.

New travel restrictions will come into force on January 1 after the end of the 'standstill' transition period.

They will mean that Britons will only be allowed to stay in a European country without a visa for a maximum of 90 days in every six month period.
I'm not going to look at the comments.
Last edited by Boiler on Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm half-expecting that this may get sorted out after January - but might take a couple of years. It depends on how much French goodwill Johnson spaffs up the wall.

It's not a case of spending 3 months - most second homers spend a few weeks several times a year. What isn't mentioned is that after taking out a Schengen visa I'll be prevented from having one for six months. So if I visit in April, for example, I won't be able to visit in August. A visa covering Jan-June would mean that I couldn't get another one that year. So to be able to take the grandkids out in August and being out in the autumn means starting that visa in April/May, cutting out the spring visits. Most visitors won't bother with the hassle.
Last edited by Malcolm Armsteen on Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:34 pm
I'm half-expecting that this may get sorted out after January - but might take a couple of years. It depends on how much French goodwill Johnson spaffs up the wall.
...or who replaces him once he looks like a pincushion after 1/1/21.
Does anyone know if this is reciprocal? The UK Larp season runs from March to November (Covid permitting), and we have people coming in from Ireland, Belgium, Italy, Germany...
We don't know yet - it hasn't even been discussed. I suspect that under Patel's regime there will be difficulties, except for Ireland, which has a pre-existing freedom of movement treaty.
Boiler wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:25 pm
Shit. Really?! I'm sorry to hear that, Malc.

No wonder my mate was traipsing between the South of France and Norfolk all summer dealing with his place :shock:

I suppose the thing here is to wait and see what the detail of all this is going to be.

There's more detail here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rules.html
Furious British expats have blasted post-Brexit travel rules which will prevent them from spending more than three months at a time at a holiday home in the EU.

New travel restrictions will come into force on January 1 after the end of the 'standstill' transition period.

They will mean that Britons will only be allowed to stay in a European country without a visa for a maximum of 90 days in every six month period.
I'm not going to look at the comments.
They're surprisingly balanced. This is the best-rated:
"They will mean that Britons will only be allowed to stay in a European country without a visa for a maximum of 90 days in every six month period." Yes, this is what you voted for, why do you think you should be exempt from the rules?
And Oblomova is still sweating on what's happening with her immigration status as the Italian consulate don't have any more information than we do :slight_frown:
Roll Call

A lad I was at work with for three hours on Tuesda[…]

"Boris" Johnson

He always seems to release these pictures on a Sat[…]

The Trump Retirement

One by one, these otherwise and hitherto untouchab[…]

FOB Terminals for the house. They should be hounde[…]