Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 60.6 % ❤ 1.4 % :thumbsup: 6.2 % 😯 2.7 % :grinning: 21.8 % 🧥 0.8 % 🙏 2.5 % 😟 1.2 % :cry: 2.1 % :shit: 0.8 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
davidjay wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:41 pm
What on earth does he hope to achieve by this? He's a backbench MP, and that's all he's going to stay. Surely even one as deluded as he knows that his time has gone and even if he has the whip restored he'll have no more influence than he does whipless.
He hopes to achieve what he always hopes to achieve - validation of his behaviour and beliefs being correct irrespective of any collateral damage pursuing this may cause, and with no ability whatsoever to accept a decision that does not favour him.

I had a conversation elsewhere with a friend earlier who is (to put it mildly) a bit of a hippie and thus rather taken with the image of Corbyn that Corbyn likes to project. He shared a post with the usual blah about what a selfless man he is crucified by the media, and I replied that he really wasn't, and he asked why.

And then I got really annoyed - not with him, but when you list it out it's infuriating. Corbyn has had repeated opportunities to demonstrate the actions that would align with his selfless, caring man persona by making a genuine gesture of leadership - not just a speech or turning up at a protest, but with concrete action that can only come from considered, empathic reasoning. And *every single time* he has instead chosen to do something else or nothing at all. At every opportunity he has had to take one for the team, take decisive action or set an example of leadership, instead he has expected the team to take one for him or set an example of arrogance, and every single time this has directly correlated with conditions and prospects for the most vulnerable in society becoming worse as a consequence.

* EU referendum - couldn't bring himself to even pretend to care and his office deliberately blocked or watered down remain efforts in the party
* Post-referendum - immediately came out for invoking the article to leave the EU, then proceeded to have a vague, shifting stance for years because what he wanted didn't match what Labour as a party wanted, but he neither had the skill nor courage to make his case or accept majority opinion. When millions marched for remain to save jobs, rights and communities, protest-loving Corbyn went on holiday.
* 2017 election - failed to understand the reasons Labour did better than expected, instead arrogantly taking it as a personal endorsement and a "win" when it was no such thing, and proceeded to squander all the good will and tactical efforts by refocusing on northern leave voters and further alienating Labour remain voters
* 2017-2019 parliament - despite his awful personal polling he failed to consider a GONY without him as leader, failed to consider even temporarily stepping aside to allow the remain majority to take down May and later Johnson's government, failed to engage with cross-party or even internal-party collaborative working making remain wins harder to achieve. Failed to lead against 2 of the worst governments of all time.
* 2019 election - gifted lame duck Johnson a GE that was not necessary out of hubris, then - with a hand-picked team in control of every aspect of policy and appearance, and working on the assumption he would waft into No. 10 - proceeded to run a mediocre, disorganised campaign that saw resources poorly allocated and pissed away on petty revenge battles and ideological campains in unwinnable seats, again making absolutely no effort at all at cross-party coordination if not actively pushing against it
* Starmer's first appearance as leader - had to get up that day and make a speech for no reason whatsoever to remind people he exists, thus undermining his successor and not even being polite enough to step back, even for a moment
* Coronavirus - has repeatedly been caught out ignoring or breaking the rules, and has not apologised or attempted to set an example
* Antisemitism - cannot accept that his interpretation of events is wrong and factual records of interference and documented abuse exists, and cannot even see that regardless of what he accepts the best course of action is perhaps not to hamstring the party while it attempts to recover when strong opposition has never been needed more.

Not one of those incidents is related to media perception or pressure, or infighting. They are all poor, clumsy, selfish decisions made by him/his team. And every single one has put what Jeremy Corbyn wants and needs above any consideration of what others might want or need, and what Jeremy Corbyn wants or needs is always the same thing.

He is an arrogant, vain and petty man, a mediocre politician, and a truly pathetic 'leader' - both in the sense of office and in the sense of setting an example.
Timbo, mattomac, oboogie and 1 others liked this
I also left out post-election 2019: choosing to remain in office until a new leader is elected rather than resigning immediately after his disastrous performance, so he could attempt to influence who was selected as his replacement while simultaneously making sure reports and investigations into his performance were conducted by allies so he could be absolved of fault
Timbo, oboogie, Oblomov liked this

By Boiler
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:00 am
I also left out post-election 2019: choosing to remain in office until a new leader is elected rather than resigning immediately after his disastrous performance
I seem to recall a lot of criticism on this board for Ed Miliband doing just that.
Boiler wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:36 am
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:00 am
I also left out post-election 2019: choosing to remain in office until a new leader is elected rather than resigning immediately after his disastrous performance
I seem to recall a lot of criticism on this board for Ed Miliband doing just that.
Quite possibly, but you've lopped off the key point - it's not what he did, it's why he did it. He didn't want to leave because he didn't want to go before establishing the "correct" narrative - that the defeat was not his fault, and antisemitism was not his fault etc.

I don't remember Miliband spending weeks leaking reports that painted him in a hilariously favourable light to try and head off other reviews that might be more critical.
oboogie liked this

By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
As said before, his real failing on the antisemitism issue isn't about IHRC definitions or anti-Semitic tropes or whatever else. It's this - it's the line that you just don't cross. For the most part, your casual racist will bang on about the bloody Muslims or sodding blacks, and that's awful, but they won't cross the AS line. All sorts of reasons, but who said racists are supposed to make sense?

And saying "Aaaaah, I was actually criticising the Israeli foreign policy" doesn't fucking wash. And also, you don't take on a social group that is very vocal about being attacked, and does not take shit lightly. Morality aside, it's tactically a really stupid thing.

No "Yebbut he's a mate", or "But she's done so much for the cause". In the words of Momentum, anyone comes out with AS, tell them to fuck off and join the BNP.
oboogie, Oblomov liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:25 am
People who complain about this need to get a life.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... nomTSxoO6I
The BBC has defended a comedian’s comments about Jeremy Corbyn on Have I Got News For You, in the latest instance of the broadcaster having to deal with complaints from the public about jokes mocking politicians.

On last week’s episode of the satirical current affairs programme, Fin Taylor compared the former Labour leader to Bob Dylan, “in that I only hate him so much because of his fans”.

He said: “People think that Bob Dylan’s the greatest musician that ever lived, and you listen to some of it and it’s awful. But then people are so dogmatic and say he’s the greatest musician. People who like Corbyn, it’s what, 200,000 people in the Labour party that are fanatics? So all you’ve got to do next year is bomb Glastonbury. Hopefully Dylan’s headlining: two birds, one stone.”
The BBC did apologise for a similar Jo Brand joke (about Farage) though. On that basis, the complainers have a point.
Having read it, I can only really conclude 1 of 2 things:

1. Corbyn's team have messed up
2. Corbyn's team don't have any evidence to back up their claim, and were hoping to either (a) get the Labour leadership to hand something over (out of panic?), or (b) want to make supporters believe there is a document when there isn't (and here, it is entirely possible the legal team and potentially even Corbyn himself - given he didn't make this alleged deal in person - have been assured such a document exists)

Either way, it doesn't appear that anything will be coming out in the wash, as there is no wash to do.
oboogie liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
A feeble caveat from Owen Jones. Corbyn’s problem is he didn’t go permanently awol.
While leader, Corbyn’s personal distress at being labelled a racist led him to make poor decisions on antisemitism or simply to go awol: history repeats itself in his backbench exile. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... wing-ideas

By Oblomov
youngian wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:14 am
A feeble caveat from Owen Jones. Corbyn’s problem is he didn’t go permanently awol.
While leader, Corbyn’s personal distress at being labelled a racist led him to make poor decisions on antisemitism or simply to go awol: history repeats itself in his backbench exile. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... wing-ideas
Just goes to show how unfit and unelectable he was, he would've been called far worse by the usual suspects.

Though maybe having his dad called an Anglophobic traitor prompted Ed Milliband's "Hell yes I'm tough enough" moment.
Squealer wrote:If the left cannot untangle discussions of its progressive vision to end inequality from the evils of antisemitism, then it will permanently lose sympathy from the party membership and public alike.
Quite...
Roll Call

A lad I was at work with for three hours on Tuesda[…]

"Boris" Johnson

He always seems to release these pictures on a Sat[…]

The Trump Retirement

One by one, these otherwise and hitherto untouchab[…]

FOB Terminals for the house. They should be hounde[…]