Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 14.3 % ❤ 9.4 % :thumbsup: 3.6 % 😯 0.9 % :grinning: 10.2 % 🧥 0.3 % 🙏 9 % 😟 48.7 % :cry: 3.6 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By KevS
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
So, I'm waiting to hear from Asda whether I'm getting my multipack of Doritos in tonight's order, and then one of my oldest friends tells me she's waiting to hear from NASA about whether or not she's discovered a new exo-planet.

I feel a trifle inadequate.
Boiler, The Red Arrow, Cyclist and 6 others liked this
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
KevS wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:57 pm
So, I'm waiting to hear from Asda whether I'm getting my multipack of Doritos in tonight's order, and then one of my oldest friends tells me she's waiting to hear from NASA about whether or not she's discovered a new exo-planet.

One up on delivering bog rolls to Kwik Fit, which was my job this afternoon :D

By Bones McCoy
mr angry manchester wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:00 pm
KevS wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:57 pm

One up on delivering bog rolls to Kwik Fit, which was my job this afternoon :D
Now that's what I calla roll call...
Timbo liked this

By KevS
I'll be honest, I'm a bit low tonight.

The scenes from Harrods, Nottingham and Regent Street make me wonder if we've learnt a single damn thing. Normally I'd be heading back to Ipswich to see the family obviously in just under three weeks, but I've decided this year not to. With parents in their seventh decade, it's not worth the risk. Not only that, the three households rule means that I have to miss someone out.

So it really gets my goat to say the least if people then think I've made that decision on a whim. Believe me, I haven't. I've been stressing over that decision since October.

It's just that I begin to wonder if I'm the only idiot still taking this seriously. I know I'm not, but frankly, you despair sometimes.

By davidjay
KevS wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:37 pm
I'll be honest, I'm a bit low tonight.

The scenes from Harrods, Nottingham and Regent Street make me wonder if we've learnt a single damn thing. Normally I'd be heading back to Ipswich to see the family obviously in just under three weeks, but I've decided this year not to. With parents in their seventh decade, it's not worth the risk. Not only that, the three households rule means that I have to miss someone out.

So it really gets my goat to say the least if people then think I've made that decision on a whim. Believe me, I haven't. I've been stressing over that decision since October.

It's just that I begin to wonder if I'm the only idiot still taking this seriously. I know I'm not, but frankly, you despair sometimes.
Indeed. You just know that for most for them it was all a laugh, a chance to be a bity edgy, a bit radical, a bit sticking it to the oldies.

Then you have my mum, who for nine months has been reasonably stoic in the face of adversity, but recently decided that she wanted something that her friend had got a spare one of. Every elderly lady has got a friend like this, and we all know the sort - do anything for anyone, lovely woman, says what she thinks. Or to put it another way, a nosey old cow who sticks her nose into everybody else's business and rules don't apply to her because "It won't matter just this once". And I tell my mum for weeks that the big sign on the front door doesn't say at the bottom *Except you, and she Cannot Have It. And she says she's heard me and she knows she can't. And lo, when I drop her groceries off yesterday morning there it is, standing on the table. But it's alright, because she was only in here for two minutes.

And I totally fucking lose it, and I don't care how many of her neighbours can hear me because then they'll know how utterly selfish she is and why does she have to do everything that stupid cow says and has she not taken in a single word we've said since March and is this thing that I know she'll never use more important than the lives of her and all of her family, and that's it I'm staying away for two weeks and you can stay on your own for Christmas and I know that no matter how much she says she understands that she doesn't because in her mind she's my mother and I'm the ungrateful child who shouldn't speak to her like that and should willingly do everything she tells me to without complaint and she's never wrong and I'm really sorry I must sound like an absolute bastard getting angry at this old woman because in the last years of her life she shouldn't have to put up with living like this and fuck you Johnson and Sunak and Patel and Hancock and all you incompetent bastards who have totally fucked up the biggest peacetime challenge any government has ever faced and they won't care because they and their friends will come out of it a lot richer than they entered it.

And l've just drunk a bottle of very nice St Bernadus 12 and I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore.

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
This is the first time in 25 years I'm not going to see my family at Christmas. Not a decision made on a whim, nor something I'm looking forward to, either. I want to remain Covid-free. I want my family to remain Covid-free. And the rest of the country are acting like morons.

By crabcakes_windermere
I'm not seeing my family at xmas, compounded by discovering at the weekend that one of the parents-in-law has cancer of the windpipe (hopefully caught early, but still), so we need to keep ourselves safe in case they need us to help out with anything. I'm currently focusing on small things to look forward to - the vaccination for one, the shortest day being only a few days away (so after that it's a slow, inevitable climb back out to spring), and booking holidays I assume we'll actually be able to take. But overall, aside from Biden's win and the vaccine development 2020 can sod off. I feel like the year has been simultaneously 10 seconds long and a thousand years, and that both no time at all and huge swathes of time have passed.

By Malcolm Armsteen
I admit, with some misgivings, that I will meet #1 son and the girls on Christmas Eve. They have been our family bubble all along. It's a risk and a worry, but it's to make the time he has with his kids a bit reasonable, which it wouldn't be in his place which is in the middle of building works and has no space.

As the last two weeks have been dominated by what could well be Long Covid I'm prepared to risk it.

By Boiler
I'm still very torn on this.

I'd rather not go - the other member of the "widower club" is in his 80s: our hosts are both front-line NHS workers.

I've managed to dodge that Covid bullet this far, at no small consequence to my mental health as many of you may have observed: a free lunch seems a trivial thing to risk it for yet I know the fallout will be bitter and intense if I say "I'm not coming this year".

By Samanfur
My father-in-law, I think I`ve mentioned before, is a supervisor at the local hospital. His wife's a nurse.

Both of them've gotten over Covid within the last couple of weeks.

They've invited my husband and I for Christmas dinner. I've got some thinking to do.

By Boiler
Samanfur wrote:My father-in-law, I think I`ve mentioned before, is a supervisor at the local hospital. His wife's a nurse.

Both of them've gotten over Covid within the last couple of weeks.

They've invited my husband and I for Christmas dinner. I've got some thinking to do.
Well, a bit of me says "they've had it and recovered, so they're immune" but yes, they could be carrying it and be unaffected.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Mississippi is one of the largest recipients of fe[…]

Fox-like News?

About as edgy as Enya.

Jeremy "Fucking off" Corbyn.

The last line on that tweet is correct. I haven't […]

Shaun Bailey

It’s not much use when you forgot everyt[…]