Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 48.6 % ❤ 2.2 % :thumbsup: 12.1 % 😯 5.4 % :grinning: 22 % 🧥 1.3 % 🙏 1.9 % 😟 0.6 % :cry: 5.4 % :shit: 0.4 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:20 pm
Have pranksters been signing up? Liz4PM sounds an entertaining prospect. Like Thick of It’s Nicola Murray
I don't think this is actually that surprising.

The International Trade brief is a nice one to have. It comes with such low expectations that signing anything looks like a triumph. And few Brexit Tory members will look at the deals themselves, nor care if it's better or worse than the EU deals with trade partners. The spin basically writes itself- "We will be selling lots more <insert quintessentially British thing> to <insert who we've just signed a deal with>.

Vote Leave made quite a lot of trade deals in the referendum. Bullshit, of course, but it sounded forward looking and doubtless made a few people feel like they weren't just voting to stop Poles coming here. And even better, if you talk about deals with New Zealand, Australia etc, there's a nice nostalgic bus.

So even Truss can look good showboating on this stuff.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
They really think this sort of stuff plays well in the "Red Wall". I wonder if they're completely wrong about this. They've done well picking up some older voters (via Brexit and Corbyn, and promising to spaff without raising taxes) but those might not those might not be winning issues in the future. And culture wars can backfire easily- nobody in Britain cars about god, guns and gays.

With the EU considering banning vaccine exports, i[…]

Roll Call

So sorry to hear of your sad loss Daley, thinking […]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Another of the new Northern Tories (though his sea[…]

More levelling up. They got forced into the Pupil […]