•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
More genius unearthed.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... s-families
In a 2005 pamphlet for the thinktank the Centre for Policy Studies, Bailey had previously claimed that “a culture of dependency rules the working class”, and “this liberal agenda hasn’t benefited the working class. The working class look to rules. The rules are important to them. Take away the rules and they are left in limbo.”
What rules did the Blair Government get rid of? He's the only liberal to have been in power recently, right?
Giving evidence to a House of Commons select committee in 2011, Bailey said: “The key thing about poverty and poor people is that poverty is as much about mindset as it is about money. If you give poor people lots of money, they buy things, and not always what they need; they buy what they want.”
Can't remember the poor being given lots of money. But whatever.

How does he explain this away?
In response to Rayner’s criticism of his 2011 comments, Bailey said: “I grew up in a council house. I was raised by a single mum. I’ve been poor and I’ve been homeless. I’m proud of my working-class roots.

“The only attack is coming from City Hall, where Sadiq Khan is raising council tax on working-class families by 10%. Something even Keir Starmer called absurd.”
Starmer's position is that Central Government ought to make up the shortfall, not council taxpayers. He's not criticizing Sadiq Khan.
By mattomac
It’s not much use when you forgot everything about it.

If he is so proud of his working class routes why he is using a trope from Victorian England.

Of course if you give money directly to people they will spend it, thus boosting the Economy as opposed to funding very rich shareholders for companies like Chartwells who probably don’t need to spend it and can sit on it.

By Bones McCoy
If you give poor people lots of money, they buy things, and not always what they need; they buy what they want.
Seems quite like rich people, and the middle classes.

I think we need to know why Bailey is providing hearsay (disguised as evidence) to HOC committees.

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
mattomac wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:20 pm

If he is so proud of his working class routes why he is using a trope from Victorian England.

Of course if you give money directly to people they will spend it, thus boosting the Economy as opposed to funding very rich shareholders for companies like Chartwells who probably don’t need to spend it and can sit on it.
The economy doesn't donate to the Conservative Party. Rich big companies do.

By Bones McCoy
Cyclist wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:30 pm
mattomac wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:20 pm

The economy doesn't donate to the Conservative Party. Rich big companies do.
They seem to be skimming pretty good off the PPE and tracing contracts.
Public money with the thinnest veneer of private.

By Zuriblue
Membership Days Posts
Labour have referred the City Hall leaflet to the CPS.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... r-leaflets
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/13683342[…]

"Boris" Johnson

Does this answer that first question? Jere[…]

The Tories, Generally

Things that didn’t happen https://twitter[…]

Fox-like News?

All I got from that was a dozen or so variations o[…]