Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 14.2 % ❤ 9.7 % :thumbsup: 3.9 % 😯 0.9 % :grinning: 9.8 % 🧥 0.3 % 🙏 8.9 % 😟 48.7 % :cry: 3.6 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By satnav
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Returning to work today was pretty grim. When we had the first lockdown school operated on a skeleton staff with only half a dozen member of staff in each day working with vulnerable children and the children of key workers. This time around all the teaching staff are delivering lessons on-line either from home or from school so now it is left to teaching assistants to look after the kids who come into school.

Whilst there were usually around 12 kids each day in lockdown this time we have got over 50 kids in school so it has been a real struggle just finding them computers or laptops to work on given that they are expected to stay in their different bubbles. Most of the laptops only have a two hour battery life so they are not great given that pupils are expected to do around 5 hours of on-line lessons each day. So most of the day was spent helping pupils access the right lessons at the right time and ensuring they had enough battery life to complete the lesson especially has the classroom only had 4 plug sockets.

Luckily I was with year 7 today and it was a new experience for them but when the novelty starts to wear off I think it is going to get a lot harder to keep them on task. Lots of Year 7's were sent home to self-isolate in November and December so I think it will only be a matter of time before someone tests positive and we all end up being sent home.

By davidjay
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:33 am
Watchman wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:28 pm
Actually a few noticeable by their absence
Abernathy, BBN, Daley and Catkins have all stopped posting these last few weeks.
Could a mod check to see if they've logged on at all?

By Daley Mayle
Following a nudge from Malcolm I'm reporting in.

I have mentioned inn the past that my mother, Sheila, had been admitted to hospital in August following a collapse, transferred to a rehabilitation hospital where they hoped to get her mobile again. Our only contact with her was via Facebook messenger video chats where she was looking at us on a tablet but this grew harder to communicate as her mental state declined. We tried to get her to agree to coming back to us with carers coming in 3-4 times day but she fought against strangers in the house, we had all the facilities installed by the social services such as an electric bed, wheel chairs etc. We had already bought one of those lift chairs. And so over weeks of physiotherapy the hospital said she would never regain use of her legs and even with visits from carers we knew we would not be able to give her the 24 hour care that a nursing home would offer.

We knew that Sheila had always had a fear of ending up in a care home/nursing home and we had promised this would never be the case but in the end the decision was taken out of our hands (thankfully, it helps dull the guilt) and after a mental competency test the social services and the nursing/doctors teams decided the safest place for Sheila was going into a nursing home.

Our last video chat with Sheila was the day before the move on the 11th January 2021 and she was OK, we chatted away, lunch arrived and we waved goodbye. She was very confused on arrival and thought she was going home to her mother but given time we thought she would settle down. It was at least more peaceful there with her own room. From thereon our contact was via WhatsApp, Sheila now viewing this on a smartphone screen. Her behaviour now changed markedly, she was not responding to either me or my brother and would not communicate with the nursing home staff. She accused me and my brother of plotting against her. The day before she died she was refusing food and medication. I was due to call her last Wednesday but she had passed away that morning.

I honestly believe she was a Covid victim. She didn't have the disease but the five months being in hospital with no physical contact with her family speeded up her mental decline. It was inevitable that she ended up in a nursing home but if we could have gone in and seen her we could have made that move a little easier, as it was she just gave up.

By Zuriblue
Membership Days Posts
Daley Mayle wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:41 am
Following a nudge from Malcolm I'm reporting in.

I have mentioned inn the past that my mother, Sheila, had been admitted to hospital in August following a collapse, transferred to a rehabilitation hospital where they hoped to get her mobile again. Our only contact with her was via Facebook messenger video chats where she was looking at us on a tablet but this grew harder to communicate as her mental state declined. We tried to get her to agree to coming back to us with carers coming in 3-4 times day but she fought against strangers in the house, we had all the facilities installed by the social services such as an electric bed, wheel chairs etc. We had already bought one of those lift chairs. And so over weeks of physiotherapy the hospital said she would never regain use of her legs and even with visits from carers we knew we would not be able to give her the 24 hour care that a nursing home would offer.

We knew that Sheila had always had a fear of ending up in a care home/nursing home and we had promised this would never be the case but in the end the decision was taken out of our hands (thankfully, it helps dull the guilt) and after a mental competency test the social services and the nursing/doctors teams decided the safest place for Sheila was going into a nursing home.

Our last video chat with Sheila was the day before the move on the 11th January 2021 and she was OK, we chatted away, lunch arrived and we waved goodbye. She was very confused on arrival and thought she was going home to her mother but given time we thought she would settle down. It was at least more peaceful there with her own room. From thereon our contact was via WhatsApp, Sheila now viewing this on a smartphone screen. Her behaviour now changed markedly, she was not responding to either me or my brother and would not communicate with the nursing home staff. She accused me and my brother of plotting against her. The day before she died she was refusing food and medication. I was due to call her last Wednesday but she had passed away that morning.

I honestly believe she was a Covid victim. She didn't have the disease but the five months being in hospital with no physical contact with her family speeded up her mental decline. It was inevitable that she ended up in a nursing home but if we could have gone in and seen her we could have made that move a little easier, as it was she just gave up.
Very sad news, Daley, you have my sympathy for what that's worth. I think there are some similarities to my mum, she was bright and chirpy right up to the end but the lockdown did take its toll. she always suffered from anxiety but this was exacerbated by the lockdown. Luckily I was always at the end of a phone (and had a few 3 am phone calls) and was able to get across to be with her at the end. You'll find it comes and goes, certainly I find that.

They're also unique in having almost no conditions[…]

Shaun Bailey

https://twitter.com/Dorset_Owl/status/136679431359[…]

The Trump Retirement

https://twitter.com/StephenAtHome/status/136656358[…]

"Boris" Johnson

I think the funniest part of the decorating story […]