Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 42.2 % ❤ 3.5 % :thumbsup: 7.8 % 😯 3.9 % :grinning: 35.5 % 🧥 1.4 % 🙏 0.9 % 😟 1.9 % :cry: 2.2 % :shit: 0.6 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
What king of fucking twat toasts a trade agreement with champagne at the Christmas table? These people are delusion and, quite clearly, a danger to themselves and everyone around them.
oboogie, Watchman, Arrowhead liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
Another of the new Northern Tories (though his seat was Tory from 2010-17, so not really "Red Wall")

Does he actually know the EU standards were just minimums (kept fairly low by, among others, British governments)? Or does he actually think EU countries have these low levels?

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Mrs Sault’s Brexit dream has come true. She won’t have to pay her workers anything as they’ll be signing on
'I made a mistake voting for Brexit' says business owner as stock sits waiting to leave warehouse

“Don’t get me wrong I am not a novice at this. I have been exporting all over the world all of my working life – around 38 years,” said Mrs Sault, who for over 30 years ran BCR Global Textiles in West Bromwich employing 120 staff.

She admits to having voted ‘leave’ because she was sick of employment and health and safety rules originating from Brussels. https://www.expressandstar.com/news/bus ... -midlands/

By Boiler
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -plot.html
By then, an extra 60 million doses with a 'Made in Britain' stamp will be winging their way to patients, thanks to Thursday's news that Novavax's vaccine has become the fourth jab to complete successful Phase III trials in the UK, clearing the way for approval in weeks.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:29 pm
By then, an extra 60 million doses with a 'Made in Britain' stamp will be winging their way to patients, thanks to Thursday's news that Novavax's vaccine has become the fourth jab to complete successful Phase III trials in the UK, clearing the way for approval in weeks.
This shameful episode from the Commission is the first piece of dry land Brexiters on their lonely raft have spotted in months. Let them enjoy the euphoria before it fades from view.

By Bones McCoy
youngian wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:04 pm
Boiler wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:29 pm
This shameful episode from the Commission is the first piece of dry land Brexiters on their lonely raft have spotted in months. Let them enjoy the euphoria before it fades from view.
It will never fade from view.
It will become the memw of brexit past.
Just as "Dead unburied" is the first thing blazer wearing twats recall from the winter of discontent.

By Tubby Isaacs
New MP for Grimsby sounds like she's up to the usual Tory Red Wall standard.

Grimsby was one of the places I thought was gone for Labour forever, but I dunno. While Brexit in lots of places will be a slow burner, maybe Grimsby will be different in the absence of the promised fish miracle.

By Tubby Isaacs
Melanie Onn was OK, and she was MP till 2019.

Grimsby was the perfect Tory pick up constituency with Brexit, given the resonance of fishing. I find the swining of eg swathes of the Durham coalfield behind the Tories much harder to understand. I mean Vote Leave were pretty shameless, but not even they tried to make out coal mining jobs were coming back with Brexit.

By oboogie
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:47 pm
I find the swining of eg swathes of the Durham coalfield behind the Tories much harder to understand.
Really? I'm not. The former pit villages around Durham are a hot bed for the far-right, the North-East was a stronghold for the EDL - I'm relived that we'd left before the Brexit referendum. Campaigning in the South West was much safer.

By Tubby Isaacs
Certainly areas where the far right have been strong- East Lancs, Black Country, Outer East London, South Yorks- were strongly pro-Brexit. I was thinking that there'd have to be an economic argument there as well in the strongest Brexit areas. But maybe you're right, you don't need that, it's culture that drives nearly all of it.

By oboogie
I taught, amongst other things, Economics in Middlesbrough from 2001-2014 and one of first tasks with each new cohort was to dispel the myth that immigration was the chief cause of the North East's industrial decline.
I've lived in at lot of different areas of GB and the racism in the North-East* was more blatant than I've seen anywhere else.

*my observations are of course time specific.
Priti Patel

Seems low - a simple divorce costs more - and I su[…]

I wish the news would distract us from the culture[…]

I'm with them largely because of the recommendatio[…]

The Northern Irish thread

I think he has fair beef with all parties concerne[…]