•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
Seemingly nobody has actually read the linked article, so here are a few choice snippets:

..From 1 January EU citizens have quietly been added to the government’s voluntary returns scheme where financial support is offered as an encouragement to return to their country of origin.

Payments can include flights and up to £2,000 resettlement money. The scheme is designed to help some migrants in the UK to leave voluntarily.

People working to help vulnerable EU citizens in the UK said the offer of money to return home contradicted the government’s claim that it was doing everything it could to encourage people to register for settled status. The deadline for Europeans living in the UK to apply for the EU settlement scheme (EUSS) is 30 June.

EU citizens: are you experiencing settled status issues in the UK?
Benjamin Morgan, who runs the EU homeless rights project at the Public Interest Law Centre, said: “It is clear from our casework that some of the most vulnerable EU citizens are yet to resolve their status. Barriers to application and delays in Home Office decision-making remain significant factors.

“This mixed messaging around settled status on the one hand and voluntary returns on the other, seriously undermines the government’s claim that the rights of vulnerable Europeans will be protected after Brexit.”

A Home Office spokesperson said: “Some people may choose not to obtain status under EUSS and may not wish to remain in the UK after the deadline. That is why we have written to stakeholders to inform them that EEA nationals who wish to leave the UK may now be eligible for support to help them do so under the voluntary returns scheme.”

The news came as research from the Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants (JWCI) warned that thousands of European key workers risked losing their legal right to remain in the UK..
...Of 295 care workers surveyed by the charity, one in seven were unsure what EUSS was, one in three had not heard about it before being in touch with JCWI, and one in three did not know there was a deadline for the settlement scheme, nor when it was. Most of the surveys were conducted between January and March last year.

“If even a tiny fraction of the estimated EEA+ (EU, EEA and Swiss) residents are unable to apply in time, tens of thousands will lose their status overnight,” the report states.

“Without urgent action, the care sector is likely to be devastated,” it adds..
...It states that workers in industries with poor conditions, low pay and insecure contracts such as care, construction and agriculture are particularly at risk of slipping through the cracks in the scheme. Those unable to apply on time will be subject to measures including detention and removal and could be criminalised for working, renting accommodation or driving a car.

Chai Patel, of JCWI, said: “Our research scares me because the people we talked to were far less vulnerable than other groups hidden in exploitative working conditions, who no one has been able to reach to ask questions. Despite warnings from us and many other experts, the Home Office is burying its head in the sand about this just like they did with Windrush and making excuses instead of finding solutions.”...

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
davidjay wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:03 am
Give me an EU passport and a year's guaranteed work and that's my arse for dust you might just about be able to see vanishing into the distance.
If I was younger and single, I’d have been off like a shot. And even with family and school ties, it’s still a big temptation.

Given how many people now work from home, one of our closest EU neighbours could make quite a killing setting up a new town with good transport links to the U.K., a specific visa and fast-track citizenship/free language classes.

By Malcolm Armsteen
I'd be seeking French citizenship comme un coup if it wasn't for family, especially grandkids. But I'd have to live in France for five years, and at 71 I may not have that long.

By davidjay
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:10 am
davidjay wrote:
Give me an EU passport and a year's guaranteed work and that's my arse for dust you might just about be able to see vanishing into the distance.
If I was younger and single, I’d have been off like a shot. And even with family and school ties, it’s still a big temptation.

Given how many people now work from home, one of our closest EU neighbours could make quite a killing setting up a new town with good transport links to the U.K., a specific visa and fast-track citizenship/free language classes.
Nice idea, and close to something I've thought about. When Scottish independence comes, they could do worse than have a new town just t'other side of the border waiting for the inevitable influx.

By Bones McCoy
davidjay wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:14 pm
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:10 am
davidjay wrote:

Nice idea, and close to something I've thought about. When Scottish independence comes, they could do worse than have a new town just t'other side of the border waiting for the inevitable influx.
Maybe Gretna will add refugee processing to its range of services.

By Bones McCoy
Watchman wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:22 pm
Well, at least there will not be be a strange frog-like creature in a tweed jacket, filming your arrival
If there is, I predict a rapid application of the bum's rush.
The Tories, Generally

https://twitter.com/getnorthern/status/13679024715[…]

Meanwhile in America

Chop his bollocks off. That worked with our cat.

Whoo-hoo! Herb and carpets! Good luck in the Bay […]

Nadine Dorries

Ferrari's a populist, and can smell which way the […]