:thumbsup: 20 % 😯 40 % :grinning: 20 % :cry: 20 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By shyamz
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Paul wrote:
shyamz wrote:True, but I think the worst of the communion wine tasting behaviour goes on behind rectory doors. :)
A fantasy of yours?
:) Eeeww, been the agnostic/borderline athiest I am I'd have to say no. But having gone to a Catholic primary school it is the kind of rumour you occasionaly hear doing the rounds.

By LuciusAR
Membership Days Membership Days
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/colum ... al-it.html

ManicMiner has already put a link to this in c*nt of the day but I thought it worthy of a mention here. My opinion of Max Hastings was fairly damaged as it is but this is just plain despicable. It's just dripping with paranoia.

All the sensible comments, pointing out it's standard practice to categorise spelling variations separately and not part of a conspiracy theory and that Muslims have a much smaller pool of traditional first names, with variations of Mohamed being vastly dominant, are in the red.

By Killer Whale
LuciusAR wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/colum ... al-it.html

ManicMiner has already put a link to this in c*nt of the day but I thought it worthy of a mention here. My opinion of Max Hastings was fairly damaged as it is but this is just plain despicable. It's just dripping with paranoia.

All the sensible comments, pointing out it's standard practice to categorise spelling variations separately and not part of a conspiracy theory and that Muslims have a much smaller pool of traditional first names, with variations of Mohamed being vastly dominant, are in the red.
ZZZZZZZZZ Exactly the same story as this time last year.
By Mr Mordon
Really unpleasent article that, would expect better of Hastings

This chap gives a good rebuttle
It is distressing to see a man of Max Hastings' calibre and intelligence making elementary errors. The name Muhammad (and there are more than two spellings!) is more an indicator of being a Muslim rather than a name as such. A vast percentage of Muslims bear this name. In most Muslim communities men having the name "Muhammad" are never called Muhammad by their relatives and friends, but by another of their names.

In fact the name "Muhammad" should not be counted at all, but the accompanying name should be counted!

His statement that "in Birmingham or Leicester Muslims are soon expected to outnumber whites" is simply wrong. It is non-whites in total who are expected to outnumber whites, and Leicester's non-whites include a very large proportion of Hindus. Non-whites also includes blacks of West Indian origin who are not Muslims generally.

Here is a test. Why don't you look at girls' names and see what ranking a Muslim name has?- Zahid, Nottingham, 10/9/2009 09:39

By Daley Mayle
I got two in, both sinking fast under red ink...

If it's September it must be time for a predictable rant about the ONS Ten Most Popular Boys' Name.

I had a look at the ONS site and it lists:
1 JACK
2 OLIVER
3 THOMAS
4 HARRY
5 JOSHUA
6 ALFIE
7 CHARLIE
8 DANIEL
9 JAMES
10 WILLIAM

Mr Hastings has got all excited that the variations on Mohammed have not been added together and, if they had, it would be third on the list but ignores similar variations in spelling of English names that, likewise, have not been added together. The ONS statistics only adds together names with the exact spelling.

Take a look at number one, Jack. This would not have included variations such as Jak nor, indeed, John (Jonathan, Jon) the name from which Jack is derived. Number 3 would not have included boys named Tom, smilarly number 4, how about boys named Harold or Harri (a Welsh variant). And so on and so on.

How about a less selective examination of the statistics Mr Hastings? I know why really, there's no story.
- Daley, Merkland, 10/9/2009 8:11
Click to rate Rating -101

Then the ONS fixed their website and allowed xls downloads

The top 100 names are available as a spreadsheet from the ONS.

If you are talking about shabby then the same can be said for Mr Hasting's arithmetic and ability to read statistics objectively.

He has added the three variations on Mohammed (totalling 6591) that are shown in the top 100 and placed it third behind Jack and Oliver. However, if he adds the variations of James (now becomes third at 6696) and Charles (now fourth at 6630) then Mohammed starts slipping on down the chart.

How about the choice of religious names available to parents? Many Muslims choose Mohammed as he is the name of their Prophet. We don't tend to call our boys Jesus so we use the names of the Apostles. These names in the top 100 total !6087.

And the final statistic that makes Mr Hasting's diatribe look ridiculous is that there were about 348,000 boys born last year, none of whom were called Mohammed, Muhammad or indeed, even Mohammad.

You couldn't make it up! Hold on...
- Daley, Merkland, 10/9/2009 11:20
Click to rate Rating -6
By Admirable Chrichton
Membership Days Membership Days
Child-bride, 12, dies in Yemen after struggling to give birth for THREE days

Now let me say stright out, this is a horrific story and a terrible practice. But unlike most of the idiots who post comments on the Mail website I don't tar everyone with the same brush.

But these lot do though.
and they think the West is immoral!
- LIZZIE, London UK, 13/9/2009 17:20
Rating 40Report abuse
Asked em all [the Yemenis] have you LIZZIE?
This story makes me want to cry - that poor poor little girl. How can these countries think it is right to allow this to happen.
- Claire, London, 13/9/2009 16:51
Nothing ostensibly wrong with whats she's saying, but she hasn't read the article because she would have seen this.
In February, parliament passed a law setting the minimum marriage age at 17. But some lawmakers are trying to kill the measure, calling it un-Islamic.

Before it could be ratified by Yemen's president, they forced it to be sent back to parliament's constitutional committee for review
They don't think it's right.
and our boys are fighting for them give me strength
- tonana, bath, 13/9/2009 16:05
Not in Yemen they aren't tonana.
This is such a sad story but it is another countrys culture which should be respected just like eveyone does when they come here.
- beansontoast, woolacombe, 13/9/2009 16:08
Click to rate Rating 23
Oh that makes it Ok then.
In the dock again!

It'll be "Soz" in 0.01pt font between th[…]

"Boris" Johnson

This is the sort of thing that's appearing in the […]

The Tories, Generally

Not that anyone should be surprised. Every opinion[…]

Meanwhile in America

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=h[…]