Archive of topics from before June 2012. PM a mod to get one reopened.
  •  
By sven945
Membership Days Membership Days Posts

"1.3m migrants took EVERY Brit vacancy since 2001".

Probably the same "statistics" that the Express use for their similar headlines. You know, I'm British born and bred and I've just started a new job. Not only that, this role has only been in existence (in this form, and certainly with this number of people) since April. And from all the people who I've met, at least half are white British. I'm sure many of the rest will be British also.

How the hell can they get away with that utter bollocks? Just because, perhaps, there have been 1.3m jobs created since 2001 and, perhaps, there have been 1.3m people moving here from abroad to settle, that certainly doesn't mean that they're the same people.

The worrying thing is that I'm sure at the Star they'll know all that. Their readers just want tits and scaremongering. Regardless of what is true.
By Fflaps
Here are the PCC guidelines on accuracy:
Accuracy

i)The Press must take care not to publish inaccurate, misleading or distorted information, including pictures.

ii) A significant inaccuracy, misleading statement or distortion once recognised must be corrected, promptly and with due prominence, and - where appropriate - an apology published.

iii) The Press, whilst free to be partisan, must distinguish clearly between comment, conjecture and fact.

iv) A publication must report fairly and accurately the outcome of an action for defamation to which it has been a party, unless an agreed settlement states otherwise, or an agreed statement is published.
I think points #1 and #3 about cover it.

Surely even readers of the Star would stop and think, 'Durr, I've had my job since 2005 (eg) and I'm British, so this can't be right'? It's the worst kind of knee jerk crap and I'm shocked it's been reported in this way, even for the Star it's going some. Unless of course it's (the Star) mainly aimed at the unemployed?

For myself I have had 2 jobs since 2001 and I'm not an immigrant (unless you count moving from Wales to London - I am a migrant on the other hand as I, er, migrated somewhere else). My other half is a filthy foreigner (NZ) but he's been here and in the same job since 1999 so obviously he doesn't count - I mean surely people would just look at themselves and the anecdotal evidence around them and KNOW this is bullshit?
By bairy
I must write to Richard Desmond and thank him.

Since fine newspapers such as the Express and the Star would never lie, and since I got my newly created job in 2007, it is plainly obvious that I must be an immigrant. As such I can claim a house, a car, and endless benefits. I never realised this fact until now!
Jeremy Corbyn.

Man who writes apologetic article for Corbyn sayin[…]

The Sun

Balls were they always saying no deal was...whatev[…]

The Tories, Generally

Margot James reckon a few more could walk too.

The Brexit Party

Nancy Mogg complaining there's not time to think a[…]