Topics about the Labour Party
:sunglasses: 51.1 % ❤ 2.1 % :thumbsup: 4.3 % 😯 6.4 % :grinning: 24.5 % 🧥 2.1 % 😟 2.1 % :shit: 7.4 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
With the government badly mishandling the Covid-19 pandemic, dismissing valid safety concerns raised by many scientists and teaching unions, and doing very little for disadvantaged pupils struggling to learn at home, I felt my role as shadow education secretary was a critically important one at a time of crisis.
Oh, I think Kate Green will manage, Becky.
oboogie liked this
Nothing in the lengthy Independent article aroused any controversy until Long-Bailey tweeted a link to it, saying Peake was an “absolute diamond.” Then suddenly, it became the focus of forensic concern to opponents of former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn.
Utter bollocks. Loads or organisations picked up on it more or less as soon as it was published. The rest of it is just the usual list of excuses and 2+2=5s. She didn't mean this, it didn't mean that and so on.
If Maxine Peake had blamed Jews for George Floyd’s death, that really would have been an antisemitic conspiracy theory. She had done nothing of the kind. She had criticised the state of Israel, perhaps incautiously making specific reference to the knee-on-neck technique that killed George Floyd. ...

The Independent took the precaution of inserting into the interview a denial from a spokesperson for the Israeli police, stating that “there is no tactic or protocol that calls to put pressure on the neck or airway”.

That is little comfort to the many Palestinians who have suffered just this technique applied by Israeli security forces.
So she was "incautious", and the newspaper felt it necessary to add there was no connection, but now please ignore that and draw a direct line between A and B that we heavily imply.
...and fury from thousands of party members, nearly 120,000 of whom voted for the Salford MP [RLB] as their first preference in the leadership election. A petition calling for Long-Bailey’s reinstatement gathered more than 15,000 signatures in the first 24 hours.
So just over a 10th of those who voted for her - and she lost pretty much 2:1 - were so furious that they signed the petition. And given that apparently meteooric signing rate, you'd expect it to be approaching 50K now it's a week or so, no?

Well, no. It's gone up just over 4000. Under 20,000 were arsed, and a lot of those would sign anything for a dig at Starmer (or indeed anyone who isn't J. Corbyn).
Claudia was my councillor a few years ago. I was astounded when she got selected for a seat as she could start an argument in an empty room. She's very good mates with Emily Thornberry though.

On the other hand Islington is quite a hard proving ground - we had some excellent councillors go to Westminster like Catherine West, Meg Hiller and Mary Creagh.
China then. Running amok in Hong Kong, putting Muslims in concentration camps, sterilising them. Time for a major discussion. And as luck would have it, Diane Abbott and Emma Dent Coad are having one tonight. Rachel Garnham from the NEC is participating too.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/trumps-w ... 9186052422

What's the title?

Yep. "Trump's War On China".
One of the new Corbynites.

Anything like this ought to set off alarm bells for anyone. What is this? Average? Starting salary? Are all the countries measuring the same thing?

Newly qualified nurses seem to go on to what's called Band 5. Starting salary is £24k. I think that works out at £12.74 hourly rate, though even it's nearer the £11.73, that's not what most nurses are getting paid, is it?
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:53 am
One of the new Corbynites.

Anything like this ought to set off alarm bells for anyone. What is this? Average? Starting salary? Are all the countries measuring the same thing?

Newly qualified nurses seem to go on to what's called Band 5. Starting salary is £24k. I think that works out at £12.74 hourly rate, though even it's nearer the £11.73, that's not what most nurses are getting paid, is it?
It's also pretty pointless without some normalisation for cost of living and tax bracket.

My experience of the Scandinavian countries saw some very high prices.
Fancy a laugh?

Great spot. They're delightful!

Boris Johnson

Why isn't this on the BBC? There was a bit […]

The Tories, Generally

Ha ha. What is it with Welsh Tories with 4 initia[…]

Labour, Generally.

Ah, fair enough.