:sunglasses: 50 % ❤ 6.3 % :thumbsup: 6.3 % :grinning: 37.5 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Would you vote for the LibDems again next time around?

Yes
7%
No
61%
Probably
8%
Probably not
24%

By Arrowhead
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Swinson needs to win over deeply pissed off Labour Remainers such as myself at the next GE. Indulging in this confidence motion nonsense, when it has little chance of succeeding right now, just to make Labour look bad ain't the way to go about it.
youngian, Dan, Samanfur liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Arrowhead wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:27 am
Swinson needs to win over deeply pissed off Labour Remainers such as myself at the next GE. Indulging in this confidence motion nonsense, when it has little chance of succeeding right now, just to make Labour look bad ain't the way to go about it.

For us that follow parliamentary procedure, its not big and clever but does look like a strategy of needling Corbyn so he moves towards Remain. Or exposes his divisions and weakness.

By Arrowhead
It sounds very much like Dr Phillip Lee - rather than Justine Greening - could be the rumored upcoming Tory>Lib Dem defector. The Lib Dems are nowhere in his Bracknell constituency nowadays, although they did manage 2nd place with 22% of the vote back in 2010.

Bracknell is estimated to have voted Leave by a 53-47 split in 2016.
Tory MP Phillip Lee to 'spend summer' considering Lib Dem defection
The former minister says he is "increasingly feeling politically homeless" due to his opposition to a no-deal Brexit.
By Greg Heffer, political reporter
Wednesday 31 July 2019
https://news.sky.com/story/tory-mp-phil ... n-11774237
Arrowhead wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:27 am
In hindsight (of a week or so) I think it might have been a shrewd move. the LDs put in a no confidence motion. Corbyn had a rally asking for a GE, but notably *not* doing anything within his power to bring one about - such as putting in a no confidence motion.

It's framed her as a do-er, and him as a serial whiner and ranter but a man of inaction when it comes to actually doing something about it. Expect this to come back in the future...
Timbo, Boiler, Snowflake and 3 others liked this

By Snowflake
Jo Swinson seems to be making it very clear she is not in the business of forming coalitions. This was the impression I got from her interview on Sky News yesterday morning, and there was an article in the Times today. I'm not entirely certain if this means she is also ruling out future remain alliances but the message seems to be "If you want to stop Brexit join the Lib Dems".

Given that she has just been handed a seat courtesy of Plaid and the Greens, I think she needs to tread a bit more carefully here.
Arrowhead liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Jo Swinson seems to be making it very clear she is not in the business of forming coalitions. This was the impression I got from her interview on Sky News yesterday morning, and there was an article in the Times today. I'm not entirely certain if this means she is also ruling out future remain alliances but the message seems to be "If you want to stop Brexit join the Lib Dems".

Given that she has just been handed a seat courtesy of Plaid and the Greens, I think she needs to tread a bit more carefully here.

It's framed her as a do-er, and him as a serial whiner and ranter but a man of inaction when it comes to actually doing something about it. Expect this to come back in the future...

I'm not convinced Swinson will play much better than Cable but if you want the crown start acting like the Prince. Which she is.
Thing is, alliances with the greens are one thing, but why would you talk about coalitions now? The LDs are on a revival - bringing up coalitions is on the one hand a reminder of the past, and on the other Corbyn is horrifically unpopular - if you say outright you’re going to bump him into govt. then you’ll lose votes.

I think right now, the best thing any party that isn’t the Tories or Labour can do is say ‘we won’t join up with them’. Because why would you? Neither party deserve to be in office right now.
Snowflake, davidjay, oboogie and 1 others liked this

By bluebellnutter
Plus, to be fair, the Lib Dems have outperformed both the major parties in recent polls. Why undermine those sort of results?

By Malcolm Armsteen
The BBC/Guardian are reporting that in the least surprising development of 2019, Sarah Wollaston has joined the Lib Dems.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -democrats
MMR Jab

Long after it was debunked they liked to ride two […]

Jeremy Corbyn.

He's absolutely running down the clock, because […]

The Sun

Song of the Yellowhammer "A little bit of br[…]

Dominic Lawson

He's right about it being stupidly hot in the Med […]