Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 33.2 % ❤ 4.8 % :thumbsup: 17.2 % 😯 1.7 % :grinning: 26.2 % 🧥 2.3 % 🙏 2.8 % 😟 6.8 % :cry: 3.1 % :shit: 2 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:32 pm
General election? I can accept Labour's Brexit policy. Don't a few defectors to the Lib Dems come back, on tactical votes if nothing else?
Looks very much like a GE now, doesn't it? And quite possibly the last one without widespread voter suppression in the form of Voter ID, plus of course constituency boundaries gerrymandered beyond recognition. Someone at Tory HQ been taking notes from the GOP.

From a Remain point of view, we really have entered Shit or Bust territory. Especially with another pollster tonight showing a ballooning Tory lead.
Arrowhead wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:21 pm
From a Remain point of view, we really have entered Shit or Bust territory. Especially with another pollster tonight showing a ballooning Tory lead.
All this posturing by the blond cunt really appeals to the hard of thinking mouth-breathers. He'll get back in with a Blair-sized majority next time.
Hmm, a' hae ma doots. The BBC and the groupies will not be allowed to peddle the "Ledge" rhetoric, 24/7. These things will make a difference.
Kreuzberger wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:20 pm
Hmm, a' hae ma doots. The BBC and the groupies will not be allowed to peddle the "Ledge" rhetoric, 24/7. These things will make a difference.
But the Fourth Estate will.
Arrowhead wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:21 pm
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:32 pm
General election? I can accept Labour's Brexit policy. Don't a few defectors to the Lib Dems come back, on tactical votes if nothing else?
Looks very much like a GE now, doesn't it? And quite possibly the last one without widespread voter suppression in the form of Voter ID, plus of course constituency boundaries gerrymandered beyond recognition. Someone at Tory HQ been taking notes from the GOP.

I'm not expecting a repeat of May's campaign, but Johnson having to run on shaving 6.7% off long term won't be the best pitch.

Jez could get a fair bit of his 2017 Coalition back with his second Referendum promise. I don't really like a lot of the other stuff, but other Remain voters do. It won't be a bad offer. The problem is Corbyn turns out the Tory base by himself. Johnson might actually stick some more cuddly stuff in to woo swing voters.
I wonder if the right time for Jez to go was the conference when they did that fudge (2018?). That "general election" stuff wasn't convincing. The wreath stuff just before wasreally bad for him too. He could have stayed on, used his profile in a brief where he'd be more trusted, like Health, maybe. It wouldn't exactly be a Blairite coup if this happened.
Yes. He could be thinking of new and completely novel ways of fucking up his party and the country.
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:55 pm
I'm not expecting a repeat of May's campaign, but Johnson having to run on shaving 6.7% off long term won't be the best pitch.

Jez could get a fair bit of his 2017 Coalition back with his second Referendum promise. I don't really like a lot of the other stuff, but other Remain voters do. It won't be a bad offer. The problem is Corbyn turns out the Tory base by himself. Johnson might actually stick some more cuddly stuff in to woo swing voters.
Corbyn may well win back at least some of his 2017 coalition, but I suspect it will be a far more muted swing than what we witnessed back then. The Lib Dems are certainly going to be way higher than 7.8% next time, whatever happens. Persistently alienating millions of their own voters up until finally committing to a People's Vote this autumn was bound to catch up with Labour eventually. A lot of those voters tried their luck with assorted other parties earlier this year, and haven't really shown much sign of coming back.

I suppose there is always the chance that Brexit will finally start to collapse under the weight of its own bullshit over the course of a full GE campaign. If Corbyn can keep warning against a "Trump-style" Brexit, and remind voters Johnson is the guy who lied to the Queen and pushed the DUP under the bus, Labour could maybe still get to within 5% of the Tories and thereby (probably) deprive them of a majority.
Tubby Isaacs liked this
That's plausible, I reckon. The Lib Dems are still vulnerable on the Coalition stuff with Labour switchers. Jez gets a lot of Greens back in competitive seats too, I should think.

The Lib Dems will have to rule out any agreement with either party. I don't see why "vote on the issues" is a problem for them. So I'd hope the Tories would be in a position where they had to win a majority themselves. That might be tough.
Arrowhead liked this
The Tories, Generally

https://twitter.com/MetroUK/status/120286984497209[…]

Boris Johnson

Shades of Parsehole and Clegg back in 2010.

Brooker's Back !

Monday, Dec, 30- Charlie Brooker's 'Half a Decade'[…]

Jan Moir

Fortunately Trump isn't smug and infantile... […]